Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #1

Preppers in the news

I don't know if this is getting big everywhere, but I'm seeing more and more of it.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/cr ... t/9143223/

There is a Prepper's Convention in a nearby town this weekend. The story didn't say it, but something tells me this guy was probably on his way there.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #2

Re: Preppers in the news

... that guy is trying to get shot
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

I do not see a lot of difference between today's Prepper's' and the folks that built bomb shelters in the 50's or some of the churches that ask their members to store 10 years of food. It is all about fear. Do you want to live in fear or love? I have found that love makes for a better life.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Like most things in life, there are wide interpretations of 'being prepared', from the responsible to the extreme.

Some degree of being prepared is a responsibility of everyone. I live in earthquake country, so knowing that I have emergency shelter/food/water/fuel is just common sense. Sadly, many people don't have that common sense, and after an earthquake they then expect the cavalry to immediately roll in with a mobile Starbucks truck so their life can get back to normal. It's also some of these unprepared who will seek to take advantage of those who are prepared, so some aspect of self defense is not a stretch of logic.

Earthquakes, floods, harsh Winter storms, tornadoes, take your pick. There aren't many areas of this country that doesn't have the potential for natural disasters, and therefore I cant imagine anyone who shouldn't be prepared to some extent.

Herb
Old 05-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
I do not see a lot of difference between today's Prepper's' and the folks that built bomb shelters in the 50's or some of the churches that ask their members to store 10 years of food. It is all about fear. Do you want to live in fear or love? I have found that love makes for a better life.
it isn't about fear, it is about being ready to handle changes in the environment in which we live. Like carrying a spare tire and a jack. I live in the PNW, we're definitely going to have a big earthquake, the only question is when.

I have food, water, firearms, shelter, medical gear, tools, chainsaw etc. I'm not worried about the Ruski's invading or a giant asteroid. But living in the PNW, you need to be self sufficient.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #6

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
Old 05-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #7

I was living in Mountain View, CA when the '89 earthquake hit. I think I maybe had a can of beans and some crackers in the pantry. I remember driving down El Camino Real (in a car that was almost on empty) and being happy to find a Sunnyvale restaurant that was open for dinner. My mom, who lives in southern Mississippi and was 76 at the time, went a couple of weeks without power when Katrina hit. We have both learned that a little preparedness is a good thing.
9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #8

There is being prepared - and sometimes over-prepared, which I am sometimes guilty of - and then there is the word "prepper" which, to my mind, connotes someone who devotes his or her whole life to being prepared, to the exclusion of enjoying the present moment. That's what I think of, anyway, when I hear "prepper."

Hell, I'm the guy people call when there's a blackout so they can borrow batteries, food, etc. I probably read more than my share of disaster-preparedness articles.

I do NOT identify with the doom-and-gloom "it's the end of the world coming soon" crowd, though. You do what you can and then you live your life.

When Hurricane Sandy hit, I sure was happy I had plenty of food, water, and gas, as well as my mobile command unit - the Quadvan - which had plenty of electrical generating power. Made my life much easier.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
There is being prepared - and sometimes over-prepared, which I am sometimes guilty of - and then there is the word "prepper" which, to my mind, connotes someone who devotes his or her whole life to being prepared, to the exclusion of enjoying the present moment. That's what I think of, anyway, when I hear "prepper."
My point exactly.

Heard an interesting quote yesterday. "Where you put your attention is where your life goes."
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #10

... looky there... BEER!