Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Site Team

Redwoods State & National Park

Starting my planning for next Summer's roadtrip with my son. Hitting a number of places in California and Oregon.

Wondering if anyone had recommendations on particular campgrounds in Redwood State/National Park? Looking for a developed campground to take best advantage of organized activities for my son (e.g. Junior Ranger program, tidepool exploration). The campground situation seems to be a jumble of State and National Park facilities, without much discernable difference between the two.

The campgrounds seem to be:
Jedediah Smith
Mill Creek
Elk Prairie
Gold Bluffs

I will be travelling with my trailer if that makes a difference.

thanks,
Herb

Old 11-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Redwoods State & National Park

I've been to all those but Jedediah Smith was by far my favorite and it has showers. There is a one way road through the big trees that's a fantastic drive. Gold Bluffs is OK but you're kinda cram packed next to other camper although it is nice to be camped on the beach. The walk in and along the bluffs is very cool. Don't know about any activities for kids. I'd throw USAL beach/CG in as a good stop as well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Thanks Dave, I had been wondering about both Jedediah Smith and Mill Creek, so good to know there's a recommendation for J.S. campground.

Herb
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #4

If your son is at all interested in American Indians, you should plan to stop at Trees of Mystery. It's located a few miles north of Klamath on 101.

It's an old 50's style road-side-attraction that's managed to stay going. The paid part is kind of lame - deformed redwood trees presented as natural wonders.

But inside the gift shop is a world class collection of local Indian artifacts. Most of this stuff would belong in the Smithsonian or other national museum if it were not here.

Oh - and did I mention FREE? If you can resist the urge to drop cash in the donation bucket or buy a souvenir, you can get in and out for $0.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #5

We did that area back in 2007. Might want to watch the following starting at the 9:00 minute mark.

Have a great time.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
The campground situation seems to be a jumble of State and National Park facilities, without much discernable difference between the two.
There is just one National Park, but it is surrounded by a number of State Parks. The feds and the state actually (or used to) jointly administer the area around Prairie Creek (Elk Prairie). Take the road out to fern Canyon.

When I used to live up there, one of my favorites was Patricks Point State Park at Trinidad. Big trees, moonstone beach, terrific views (on clear days.) Actually the entire State Park system running from Richardson's Grove (south of Garberville) up to Jedediah at the Oregon border is IMHO one of the better offerings in the State system. You can't really go wrong until you drop down into the County run parks.

There are a number of off the beaten path parks and campgrounds as well as Six Rivers National Forest to visit. Make sure to get off Hwy 101 and take the Avenue of the Giants. Lots of groves to stop at and view the big trees. Along the river, look for the 1964 high water mark, it will blow you away. Unfortunately there is not a lot to see in Scotia anymore. Check out the Clark Museum in Eureka.

Hope that helps.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #7

Herb, if all goes well this will be our summer trip as well. Perhaps we can meet up. Anyway, your timing on posting this is perfect, I'll be watching and gathering ideas as well. I've only been out there once and it was a fly in to Portland and rental car down to Crater Lake and back. I can't wait to be out there for a couple of weeks with the van.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #8

Patrick's Point and Jed Smith are my favorites for camping, but all the parks here are great with lots of possible hikes. There is a quick, easy hike from the rest stop at False Klamath Cove (about a mile north of Trees of Mystery) between Crescent City and Klamath. It's called Hidden Beach trail. Although the cove parking lot is busy, the trail is not used much. It follows the coastline, maybe a mile or so, to a beautiful, untouched beach. Be sure to drive in to Fern canyon, even if you don't camp there. It's special. We live in Arcata, so let us know when you're here if you need a stop-over house. Have fun!
littleboomer is offline   Reply With Quote