Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Rest stop treasure hunt (sort of)

I am in the process of working on a project where I document various rest stops throughout the country.

I am hoping to create a piece that looks at the changing nature of rest stops in America. In the past they were designed to be places where people could stop, cook a meal, play with the kids, and after an hour or so move on.

Now many are constructed only for a quick bathroom break and maybe a candy bar from a vending machine, but I am trying to find ones that are better that that. I was hoping I might be able to enlist some fellow road travelers to help me scope out some interesting places. If you come across an interesting rest stop, I’d love to know about it.

Old or new is fine. I am also ok with older ones that aren’t fantastic and even run down. Usually you can tell the older ones by the BBQs. The only requirement is it needs to be a publicly funded stop, not a business.

So if you see one, feel free to PM me or to reply on this thread. GPS coordinates are great, but just the road number + mile marker or nearest exit will do. Please jot a note about what made you want to include it.

I’ll be traveling summer ’17, but I’m really getting into it summer/fall ’18. It would be great to hit the road with a big list of possibilities. I figured I’d ask around early to give more time for people to stumble onto something good.

Anyway, I’d really appreciate any leads you guys might have. Thanks!

Some examples:

My favorite one so far is in Paxico Kansas on I-70. That place is magic. It serves both east and west and there is a center section that is somewhat hidden, and when you enter it looks like it was frozen in time from 50s/60s. On top of it, if you stay the night there are wild bunnies all over.

There’s one on I-80 in CA that has a small hiking trail attached to it with information about the gold rush era. The signs are falling apart and it is not maintained.

Sometimes things get interesting on their own. Once stop on CA-99 has a large group of feral cats that migrate from a farm every evening and take the joint over.

jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #2

CA Hwy 101 Southbound rest stop at Gaviota has a hiking trail up to the wind caves overlooking the ocean. https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/gav...il-description
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #3

Have two for you. They are actually state parks right on I-84 east of Portland. one is just east of Hood River, Meyer State Park. You can launch your boat into the Columbia River, camp or use the facilities. It is only accessible heading west.

The other is Celilo Park just west of Biggs. It is also on the Columbia River, has good facilities, picknic tables and squirts. Accessible from both directions.

Both locations are big wind/kite surfing spots. So be sure to bring your kit. There are a couple more parks along that same stretch of 84 between Portland and Pendleton.

One other thing, have you see this app, Rest Stop Locations: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rest...62424841?mt=8? It may help in your search.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #4

Awesome ideas right away! Thanks.

Love the app link too. I've been wanting one of those.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #5

Garage
Just west of Soldier Summit on Rt 6 between Spanish Fork and Helper in Utah is a terrific stop. Complete with an old locomotive on display for the kids in all of us to check out
Old 03-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #6
Site Team

Are you looking for public infrastructure type places only, or are you also looking for old style roadside attraction kind of places too?

Herb
Old 03-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #7

I could possibly be of help. I have also been thinking of a similar project but with a different niche user base, but would have no conflict to the beasts that we drive. If your just documenting them that's cool, but if you maybe wanted a Web app, I may be able to pull one together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

Great questions! The project is looking at how people utilize public services for vehicle travel and how the government has responded both in terms of eras and regions.

So I mainly looking at public infrastructure, not so much private enterprises like roadstands.

At this point I am just documenting. Photos, videos, time-lapse, and some 3D recreations. I have no idea how I will show it yet. Maybe web, maybe an installation in a gallery, maybe make a short film.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #9

Definitely the public areas along I-70 in Glenwood Canyon, CO. Aside from being an impressive drive along cantilevered interstate, the rest stops are full fledged parks with picnic areas, river access and a continuous bike trail.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/state-h...lenwood-canyon
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0254.jpg   IMG_0251.jpg  
Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #10

On I-74 West at the Indiana/Illinois state line (Ill side), a nice rest area with this antique road grader always impressed me.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote