Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #21
Orv

Garage
V-16 actually makes sense from a parts bin standpoint. You could use two V-8 blocks.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
V-16 actually makes sense from a parts bin standpoint. You could use two V-8 blocks.
Yes. There is at least one company out there building V16 engines based on the LS (usually using stock heads). Well over 1000 HP naturally aspirated and up to 5000 HP with forced induction. Mostly designed for the powerboat and aircraft market (where the incredible cost is comparatively "low" to other powerplants), but a few have been put into hotrods.

Mike sounds like an awesome guy. Condolences to his family and friends.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #23

With the help of MGmetalworks I reached out to Mike's family.

Mike had purchased a newer van last year and was preparing to sell his old van.....so both vans have passed to relatives....

One or both of them will likely join here shortly (the relatives..not the vans ).......I told them we are a very helpful group!!

...and I'll probably meet with the relative inheriting the older van to walk him through things and maybe get the PH top sorted out a bit.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #24

Sad news. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know the guy or interact personally, but remember reading many of his insightful posts that included creative colors and fonts.

Rest in peace Mike.
1984 Dodge B250 Get-Away-Van camper conversion (sold)
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #25

Very sad to hear about Mike's passing. I met him and chatted with him quite a bit at one of the Silverado Canyon meetups. Super nice guy! Actually gave me his old broken fiamma awning and a few other items for free. We brainstormed different ideas on how to fix it and he couldn't have been more helpful and informative. I was unfortunately never able to fix it after several attempts and now have a new fiamma awning on the van.

I do still have Mike's broken awning... would be cool to circle back and actually fix it or give it away to another member here willing to take on the project.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #26
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
Yes. There is at least one company out there building V16 engines based on the LS (usually using stock heads). Well over 1000 HP naturally aspirated and up to 5000 HP with forced induction. Mostly designed for the powerboat and aircraft market (where the incredible cost is comparatively "low" to other powerplants), but a few have been put into hotrods.

Makes sense. I figured the powerboat guys were going to run out of WWII-surplus Merlins eventually.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkurt View Post

I wanted to add a correction - his IG account is honky_pix in case you want to check it out.
Doh! I didn't proofread my post apparently, that is what I meant to type. Thanks for that.

Mods, if you could correct that in my original post it might clear up some confusion.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Doh! I didn't proofread my post apparently, that is what I meant to type. Thanks for that.

Mods, if you could correct that in my original post it might clear up some confusion.
Done.
The message you entered is too short.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #29

This is why...

This thread is but one example of why I feel this group is made up of warm and wonderful people. Thanks for posting with the news of Mike, and thank you as well for all the great connections shared herein.

Is there any fund named to contribute to in Mike's memory?

Life is too short, live and love to the fullest. Our world is better due to people like Mike.

Ann

P.S. what/where is this Silverado Canyon meetup mentioned?
Old 02-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #30

Never had the pleasure of meeting or talking or getting any questions answered by Mike - but OBVIOUSLY a well liked and knowledgable guy and beloved SMB affiliated person. Very sad to "lose" one of our own "family" members - at any level. Condolences to all friends and family - perhaps give Mike a "toast" next time you're out there in the wilderness with your rig ! - for his contributions to the "Van" life !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote