Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Santa Fe Meetup

I may have found a place for a meetup in the Santa Fe area if there is enough interest. It's located in the Galisteo Basin Preserve, a 13,500 acre combination of conservation easements and marketable homesites east of town. It was a working ranch until the Commonweal Conservancy bought it in 2003. With 30+/- miles of hike & bike trail in place, plus some equestrian routes, and a goal of 50 in total, GBP is the largest publicly accessible private trail network in the West. (Santa Fe is also an IMBA Silver Level ride destination.) It is conveniently located for day trips to Santa Fe; Bandelier National Monument; Valles Caldera National Preserve, site of a significant volcanic explosion 1.25 million ya; the Sangre de Cristo mountain range (the Rocky Mountains, aka the Sangres, plunge below the surface just north of the Galisteo Basin); Los Alamos, home to the Manhattan Project; and a variety of other sites in northern NM. Taos and the Taos Ski Valley are feasible though it makes for a long day.

This would be the first time Commonweal has opened its property to an event like this. Space would be limited although I haven't had any concrete discussions about the number of visitors Commonweal would allow. It would be primitive camping in piñon-juniper terrain though we'd add some porta-potties and maybe an event tent, depending on cost.

I have two questions for the membership: (1) how many people are interested and (b) what is a workable time for it to happen if there is enough interest. Right now is particularly sweet as the temps are dropping, the nights are cool and the Albuquerque International Balloon Festival is underway for sightseeing. Spring also has the advantage of cooler temps. There are two major events in Santa Fe during the summer, the International Folk Art Market in July and the Santa Fe Indian Market in August, both of which draw worldwide attention. However, the temps will be at their peaks so PJ terrain may not be the most comfortable camping. (Seasonal rains in August can make a big difference.)

Otherwise, all is good if you want some time outside and a visit to the hood.

-d-

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Team

I'll follow this thread to see what develops. I might be interested in a couple day trip up there with my trailer. I would be SMB-less and bike-less. Sold the SMB years ago, and haven't ridden my bike in years, but just a little hiking, camping, and campfires sound pretty good.

Herb
Old 10-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #3

I'm a go. Events are a nice outing but not a deal breaker if scheduling becomes an issue. A gathering out this way is welcome as it seems like it's always PNW and Cali locations. Yup I'm in.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

We are Californians who love New Mexico. Give us a date to plan for, these vans are made for driving!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #5

Garage
We're up for it (if we've got our van by then!). Otherwise, we'll make a day trip or two out of it.
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #6

Interested. Fall is the perfect time of the year but my time is pretty well filled up for this fall. Would come down anyway if it was a go.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:47 AM   #7

We would also be up for it. We travel all of the year but can always stay home! Please consider us that are 2 wheel drive.

JIM
JayBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #8

Sounds like fun. Easy drive from Denver even if you come the back way down 285 and come through Taos.
plaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #9

This coming weekend? Give me an excuse to get off the Hill.
I think I can get my fuel pump fixed before then... maybe.

Any time other than the last half of November is good for me (I will be gorging on sushi and wagyu beef in Kyoto and Tokyo).
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #10

We'll caravan with Fitz!
Dawghandler is offline   Reply With Quote