Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #11

Re: Scooters and other 'bumper' additions

Have you thought about a TW200? A buddy of mine had one and it was about the easiest bike there is to ride, that is freeway legal and can actually go 2-up (short distance of course!) It would go 60 with my 230lbs on board and his skinny butt had it going over 70mph. You can practically dump the clutch with no throttle without the bike stalling and the seat height is only about 31" unloaded. Riding in sand is uneventful even for beginner riders due to the huge tires. If the fat tires aren't your thing (they do feel "heavy" while turning onroad and don't really fit on most commercially available hitch racks) the older XT225's are mechanically similar but with skinny tires, about 40lbs less weight (I believe it is the lightest in the ~200cc class at 238lbs), and just a tiny bit more power. Both bikes are simple and reliable as an axe.

TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #12

Garage

^^^ i have a buddy with one. he brought it up camping for me to try out one trip. its was pretty crowded with my wife on it and it rode like a tank. had a very lothargic feel as well. i was set on getting one till i rode one. they have a cult following and theres all kinds of mods if you want to build it up. im sure the suspension could be addressed, but the bike jsut ended up not being a right fit for us.

then rode the wr and liked it much better. felt like a caddy compared to the tw. had enough room for both of us on it without her having to sit on the rear rack area. considerably more nimble feel as well. it does have cons, the sportier seat is harder on the ass, but didnt seem any worse than the tw...just got sore in different areas, lol. im sure you will build up a tolerance on both eventually. its also a much bigger bike. bigger footprint and taller. wife was kinda bummed she wasnt tall enough to ride it. she can operate it np, but shes too short to be able to straddle the bike and not strong enough to start side saddle and pull herself up as you get going. one pro as mentioned vs the tw is it fits on all the dirtbike carriers offered due to the regular sized tires.

in the end, we love the tight singletracks, but a lot of them peter out after a few miles and many of the trails dont have enough space to turn around the tw or the wr very easily as both are 200-250lbs when said trails just end. the pitbike weighs half of what the wr or tw weigh and i can turn it around on a single track like a mt bike with ease by putting it into gear, standing it up on the back tire and just flipping it around. the pitbike wont have the top end of either, but speed is not what im after (even though the 160 im looking at is currently geared to go 70mph). these pros im listing for the pitbike would likely not be an issue for an experienced rider, but neither myself or my wife are experienced riders.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/4560015533.html
Yeah, I saw that Rob. Tempting. I might go look at it. What's the top speed of an older Trail 90 or 110?

Thanks J and Shenrie. The little motard you posted looks just like the Honda Grom.

I really want to keep this kid friendly though, so ideally a Zuma or something is better for now. I used to race enduros and hare scrambles, even did a stint of road racing schools and breaking lots of laws on crotch rockets. I have the experience to get by on anything but due to van and RV addictions I haven't gotten my kids on bikes yet, so I want to start with something with a flat floor like the street scooters have.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #14

I've had a Zuma 125 for about 5 years now (about 8,000 miles on it). I've never brought it with the van though. It was more of my daily commuter (surface streets to work) and errand mule. I love it, can bring home a 40lb bag of dog food and a a case of beer at the same time. I could never do that on my motorcycle. Gas mileage is phenomenal (about 75 mpg) and it is has already paid for itself in that regard, assuming I was using the van instead.

With all of that being said, it would be fine on a well graded dirt road, however, I wouldn't want to ride it on anything much rougher than that.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #15

Garage

very similar to the grom, but geometry and suspension are more like a dirtbike instead of a bulletbike. couple of guys i race with have the groms. one of them has already lowered, stretched, & piped and just keeps adding all the little accessories. their pretty dang cool and im sure will have a following like the rucks have in no time. weve got a few ruck gangs around here terrorizing. funny to see a bunch of lowered & stretched out rucks all fart canned out, buzzing around like a swarm of pissed off bees...a few of them are even boosted
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
What's the top speed of an older Trail 90 or 110?
50mph. On a good day.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs

1976 CT-90 or on a 97 XR650L
Old 08-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #18

1972 CL100

This replaced a Yamaha Vino 50 that my wife got T-boned on. The 'real' moto feels way more substantial than the scooter, even though the little Honda feels skimpy after riding a bigger bike.

After owning a 50cc scooter, I'd never own one again. Never. I think the 125 Zuma would be cool though - I really like the auto transmission and simplicity of riding the scooters around town vs. having to really work the close ratio gear box of a small displacement motorcycle. Let me rephrase that... I LOVE flogging the little Honda around town and getting to shift gears like a big bike, but for all practicality's sake I'd say the scooter would be a better choice (depending on your wife's moto background).
Old 08-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #19

You can pick up 79-84 trail 110's all day in various stages of being refurbed.
35MPH is about right for 110. unless downhill!!

Someone familiar to SMB family has extensive knowledge about 110's and collects them.
I bought a 1984 (last yr) one rebuilt by them for around $1500 and would sell it with a custom aluminess rack for it.

110 has switch for off road vs hwy so makes it easy. plus no clutch to deal with for spouses.

New honda's 125 off road yr 2012 brand new sells for $2200 still in the box. Few yrs back but still brand new.
Find them all the time as lost leader ads........
Old 08-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs

You should be able to get 50-55 from a CT-90 CT-110

Stay away from the 1980 model it does not have the low gear option.

The CT has a 4 speed gearbox with a centrifugal clutch which operates when you shift the gear lever. You can depress the shifter and open the clutch plates for impressive wheelies. When in low gear you can climb pretty well. Those little beasts take quite a beating.