Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #1

Screen Shelters

Do any of you use a screen shelter set up in camp? Mosquitos here in NV and NorCal while camping are really too much for just citronella candles. Really makes eating dinner and relaxing outside the van impossible/miserable.

We've looked at the Kelty screen shelter that is supposed to fit over a picnic table. We would just put one of our portable tables and a couple of chairs in there to eat and have a drink in the evening. Coleman has one too. Hate to lay out the bucks for either of these without some input from other SMB owners.

What do you do to keep the blood-thirsty mosquitos at bay?

Anybody ever used one of those screen patios that attaches to the van so that you can use the door galley with the van doors open without inviting swarms of skeeters into the van?

CharlyBaltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Screen Shelters

I just bought the Alaskan shelter from Cabalas and it’s great. I have owned one of those small propane fire places for a while and now I use it inside.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 756517752a

The shelter has a fly and works great in rain or cold weather. At 40 degrees, the fire keeps it fairly warm even w/o the fly on. Octagon in shape and about 10x12 there is plenty of room for about 6 people sitting around the fire. 3 doors supply ventilation with the fly on and one door has a vestibule. You can also have a floor if you wish but I passed on it. The zippers are a little weak but not bad. It's a bit heavy at about 40 lbs and packed in its duffle, it measures about 4 feet long, 24" in diameter. It can be put up by 1 person but 2 makes it simple. It's nice not being attached to the van so I can come and go as I please. The biggest con is where to pack it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

I might try one of these inside.
http://www.offprotects.com/clip-on-mosquito-repellent/

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlyBaltimore
Do any of you use a screen shelter set up in camp? Mosquitos here in NV and NorCal while camping are really too much for just citronella candles. Really makes eating dinner and relaxing outside the van impossible/miserable.

Anybody ever used one of those screen patios that attaches to the van so that you can use the door galley with the van doors open without inviting swarms of skeeters into the van?

I am gonna order the Fiamma screen room
will post here
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #4

In our tenting days we had a 10'x12' screen house (canvas roof.....I FEW years ago) and it was great for bad weather and bugs. We made storm flaps for it and it stayed dry and warm on rainy and/or cold days. I think it is a must if you have kids. Takes games/activities with you.

As far as mosquitoes are concerned we have found the Power Pad system to be VERY effective. The stiller the day the better. Of course when it is windy mosquitoes are normally not a problem.

http://www.offprotects.com/mosquito-repeller/

We have used them (one or two some times when the side door is open for cooking) from Alaska to Michigan, Ontario, Minnesota and Wisconsin north country. Just bought an end of year supply of refills on sale at Target (half off I think).

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #5

Hey thanks guys! The Cabela's gazebo looks promising as we like to store our coolers and wood in a tent that zips closed to prevent pilferage while we are out having fun away from camp. Just wondering if you've experienced any critters (mainly squirrels)gaining access and then tearing things up to get out. Kinda wish it had an integrated floor just for that concern.

We've successfully used the Off mosquito repellent fans in the van with the penthouse up. Some of those pesky blood suckers made it through the screens on the PH. However, those that encountered the repellent were not happy and it served as a deterrent to other skeeters.

I am interested in Bill Wilson's suggestion of the Fiamma screen house. Really would like to find something that breaks down into a smaller package than the Cabela's gazebo. Yikes, where do you put something that has a 24" diameter? That's like carrying a sewer pipe around with you. LOL

I know, I want it all, but why not, I have an SMB! LOL
CharlyBaltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #6

Don't worry if critters get in THEY WILL GET OUT!

Most cases on ours they came in under the wall and exited in the same manner. Over the years we did end up with 2-3 holes we had to patch in the screen material. We learned it was best to NOT zip it completely closed. Leave bottom 1-2 feet unzipped. I flashing sign pointing to the door and saying exit here might be helpful for those critters that can read. Our zipper was eventually destroyed by a two legged critter making a fast exit in the middle of the night when my wife heard a noise outside and woke me up. That time she had it right.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #7

I use one Paha Que, it is well made probably similar to the Cables version. The draw back are price, and packing space. It has held up well in bad weather, in fact I use it more for that then bugs, the flexibility of having the walls up or down is very nice.

http://www.pahaque.com/Merchant2/mercha ... Code=SASS5

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #8

Maybe this?

www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Tent/filters/68

and then you attach this to it

www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Access ... TarpScreen

If you look under SPECIALS you can buy the bug screen for less.
Langton is offline   Reply With Quote