Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Sewing on the road

Had the pleasure of meeting velo47 (Matt & Katie Harland) last weekend as they explore SMB ownership. I mentioned that we carry a keyboard that Joyce plays on with our PV system & inverter; Katie asked whether it would drive her sewing machine. I remember pics of a member who travelled with her sewing machine but I don't remember who it was and didn't save any of the pics. Anyone want to take responsibility for said pics? Or, chime in of the feasibility of running a sewing machine w/PV?

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
I remember pics of a member who travelled with her sewing machine but I don't remember who it was and didn't save any of the pics. Anyone want to take responsibility for said pics? Or, chime in of the feasibility of running a sewing machine w/PV?

Don
Greydawg Perhaps?..............

It should be entirely feasible provided that the inverter is large enough. The duty cycle should be very low, so I can't imagine that it would suck too much battery.

EDIT: a quick google search says an average sewing machine needs about 100W.......so no worries.......
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #3

Garage
When I am done rebuilding my $5 garage sale treadle machine I will add a hand crank so I would be able to use anywhere no power. [URL=www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1951-Singer-99K-Hand-Crank-Sewing-Machine-/122060188386[/URL]
pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #4

Mrs. LenS is a dedicated sewer, and I have seen many photos of her sewing while they are on the road camping in their van (her husband is member LenS here).

I do some occasional "practical sewing" (a flat curtain panel, a pouch, a stuff sack) mostly on a borrowed machine (friend has a machine and an inverter). It works well and is not a power hog. What IS a power hog is if you want to iron first (anything that generates heat by electricity is a bit of a hog).

I first did "mobile sewing" on a boat. Found out I could buy a used machine and more than pay for it with the one repair to some canvas I was going to bring in to a shop (who were too busy anyway). Same thing, small inverter (and I didn't iron).

Sailrite.com are good folks in Indiana who have a nice website and great paper catalog. If you watch any of their (great) instructional videos, you'll see photos of them sewing on docks, boat decks, picnic tables, and the like. They make sewing machines that are electric but can also be hand wheeled (and they are helpful even for folks like me with used/old/home machines). They also sell all kinds of canvas, trims, bits and bobs, snap setters, patterning cloth, etc. (and have free videos that show you how). Probably sounds like I own stock by now but I'm just a long-term happy customer.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

Great info, Viva! Love the idea all around, still shopping for a van and already imagining sewn all panels for storage a/o organization since I don't want to drive a bunch of cabinets around.

I do not own an industrial machine anymore but can sew 'most' heavier stuff with the right needle, speed and care on my portable machine

Also rethinking some fabric art pieces I have done in the past and would like to do more of that in futures, so Thanks!
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Mrs. LenS is a dedicated sewer, and I have seen many photos of her sewing while they are on the road camping in their van (her husband is member LenS here)..
That's it. For some reason I can't get the picture to diplay but here its is: Bingo!.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #7

Garage
Thanks to Don and everyone who's replied. Katie is lovin' this thread, and Off-Road Quilting will make it easier for me to sneak off and go fishing!
Matt
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #8

Garage
Is that a nice little featherweight I see there.
pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #9

Garage
Finally, I'm getting around to figuring out how much Katie can sew on the road.

Her machine, according to the label on the back, is 120V & 0.67A. If I'm doing the math right, that would be 120x0.67, or 80 Watts. So an hour of sewing would use 80 Watt/Hours

This is where I get confused. Batteries seem to all be measured in Amp/Hours. How do I get from Watt/Hours at 120V to Amp/Hours at 12V? is it as simple as taking to 0.67A and multiplying by 10 to convert from 120V to 12V. So, would 1 hour of sewing use 6.7 Amp/hours of 12V power?

I'm an accountant, not an engineer (obviously!)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

The power P in watts (W) is equal to the current I in amps (A), times the voltage V in volts (V):
P(W) = I(A)× V(V)
So watts are equal to amps times volts:
watt = amp × volt

Recall your basic algebra to convert between the three.

If you want it in eV (electron-volts) or any other relativistic weirdness, it will take me a bit to dig out my old nuke text books...
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote