Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #1

Sighting in Guerro Negro

I ran into a forum member in Guerro Negro, Baja Mexico yesterday. They are taking their 2007 Sportsmobile with a family of 5 and a few surf boards down to Scorpion Bay for a week of surf action. Tropical storm Octave will put their SMB to the test since their destination will be very close to the projected point where the center of the storm will enter the Baja Peninsula some time today or tomorrow. Hopefully I convinced the self admitted lurking member to post up a trip report on what should be a very interesting SMB weathering a storm experience.

I've been tooling around mainland and Baja Mexico for the last 15 days on my BMW GSA. I was snorkeling down in Cabo Pulmo 2 days ago when I decided to make a run for the sun in an attempt to miss the main impact of Ovtave on roads down here. This trip has been quite an experience and an adventure that will stay with me for a long time.

As Bajasportsmobile and others have said Mexico is a great destination and a safe place to visit. The people are super friendly and willing to help if you ever have a problem. During this entire trip I have not felt threatened once. And that even includes spending 2 days in a small town in the heart of cartel narco country during harvest time. The cartel guys riding around in the back of their pickup with machine guns even started waving to us as we walked the streets of Batoplias enjoying the local culture. But that's another story to tell.

Ramsey, you NEED to take the ferry over and check out Copper Canyon some day. It's an amazing place.

I'll post up some pictures when I get home to my computer.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Sighting in Guerro Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Ramsey, you NEED to take the ferry over and check out Copper Canyon some day. It's an amazing place.

I'll post up some pictures when I get home to my computer.
We will. Thanks for the report, sounds like another awesome Mexico adventure.

Our 24 year old daughter has been in Cabo the last several days trying to stay out of the rain.

John, make sure you stop by and see us in Carlsbad on your way home - comfortable bed and hot shower awaits. Jan and I would like to see you again.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #3

Re: Sighting in Guerro Negro

John, glad you are having a fun & safe trip. Wish we had run into you. We were driving through Guerro Negro on 10/3 and 10/8 (spent several days in Abreojos). It was my favorite Baja trip yet. Zero problems, military checkpoints seemed friendlier than ever, much easier to get the FMT card in San Ysidro and only a 20 minute border wait on the way back through Tecate.