Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #11

Greg,

I would be interested to hear what your policy states. I really like some of the features of their policy and was disapointed when they wouldn't cover our van.

Having worked for a number of years in the insurance industry I can tell you that it is the insurance companie's definition of "permanently installed" that matters, not yours. It also doesn't matter what the agent that sold you the policy says it is what is in black and white that they will go by when they are forced to pay a claim. For us, our Sportsmobile is to big and investment to take chances with.

FYI the best rate I have found so far is through Camping World. They have quoted me $871 for 12 months and they don't care about the issue of the toilet.

John

Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
John,

I don't think I said anything about "my" defintion being the one that is important. Since you have worked in the Insurance industry you know that the things they want to define they will define well and in writing.

I am 37 pages into the policy and have found the first metion of a definition for "motor home". It says nothing about a need for a permanetly installed toilet.

" 'Motor Home' means a self propelled motor vehicle, including its permanently attached equipment, which has built in facilities for at least cooking and sleeping and is designed for recreational use."

I am going to keep reading....
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
18 pages later we have some discussion on Total Loss Replacement, and this may be where some of the confusion come in....

In the Limit of Liability section of Total Loss Replacement, it talks about "replacement recreational vehcile" and "All equipment, designs, or improvements made a prt of "your covered auto" after its original manufacture, including without limitation all murals, accessories, options, upgrades, or additional equipment, whether or not permanently installed or attached shall be excluded in determining the repalcement recreation vehcile".

That says nothing about needing a permanent toilet

This sounds to me more like you need to get all the options you want at the time of original manufacture because the things you add later will or may not be covered. I am interpreting this to mean that for total replacement we would get another SMB with the same original options as what we bought and what was supplied during the SMB manufacturing process.

and there is still more policy to read...(boring)...

Old 06-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #14

,...and the last 20 pages while more boring said nothing about defining an RV, Recreation vehicle or motor home....

Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #15

Maybe you should re-read it...
Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #16

Greg,

Thanks for wading through that, reading insurance policies is never fun. I will give them a call back tomorrow and see if I can get more information because it sounds like the guy I talked with doesn't know what he is talking about.

Thanks
John
Old 06-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #17

Greg,

I called RV-America Insurance again today and got the same answer. I am not going to push the issue with them. If they don't want my business I will take it to someone who does.

John
Old 06-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #18

Very strange.... who were you talking to?

I worked with two different people, Ron and Paul.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #19

Greg,

I am sorry I didn't wirte down the name of the person I spoke with so I can't be certain of his name.

John
Old 09-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #20

Greg, Can I assume that you went with National Interstate Insurance and the policy you read to us is their policy? Does it say that you have "total loss replacement" for 5 years? I was told by an AIS broker, it was included in my est. for National Interstate Insurance. Then, when I asked for it in writing, she checked and said she could not offer it with a Sportsmobile. California may be different than Texas. She may not have it right. I am going to try a different broker next week. I do not believe the porta potti is an issue with them but getting my 4wd done by S K might. Cost per yr: $850 for $92,000 SMB.

GEICO said they can not sell RV ins in CA yet but can in OR. They had the best price so far for my cars.

Since I am getting a new SMB I want the "Total loss replacement" for 5 years and then for 6 yrs through the life of the policy, to get payed no less than the stated amount listed on the policy declarations for total loss. So far only the Progressive Insurance has given that to me in writing via an RV America broker. She talked to the underwriter and told me if my porta potti was factory installed and in a permanent bracket that it was fine. Could not get anything in writing on that. They had the best price: $766.

Farmers will get back with me if they can offer Total loss replacement. What they could quote me on is the same as Mercury Ins. through AIS, which is replacement cost at the time of the loss. If I was buying a used SMB I would go with Mercury Ins. They paid me replacement cost for my camper van when it burned and considered the upgrades and condition when they computed replacement cost.

Camp World and Good Sam sell GMAC with total loss replacement although neither one could give that to me in writing along with the est. of $1175.

Scatter, You have National Interstate in CA. What broker did you use? I understand that AIS, RV America and AON sell the same insurance.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote