Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #21

Angel - I went thru AON and started on their web site. I ended up on the phone at (800) 398-0096 and talked with Anthony Claverie at Ext #5458. He was great. Also have a number of (800) 521-2942. Can't remember what it was for. Ended up at $811 for $96,000.
Good luck

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #22

Scatter, Does your National Interstate Ins policy say that you have Total Loss Replacement coverage for 5 years and that for the life of the policy they will pay the stated amount listed on your policy declarations?

I never thought the insurance companies would make it so hard to get something in writing as to what their policy says until you sign up and pay the money.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
18 pages later we have some discussion on Total Loss Replacement, and this may be where some of the confusion come in....

In the Limit of Liability section of Total Loss Replacement, it talks about "replacement recreational vehcile" and "All equipment, designs, or improvements made a prt of "your covered auto" after its original manufacture, including without limitation all murals, accessories, options, upgrades, or additional equipment, whether or not permanently installed or attached shall be excluded in determining the repalcement recreation vehcile".

That says nothing about needing a permanent toilet

This sounds to me more like you need to get all the options you want at the time of original manufacture because the things you add later will or may not be covered. I am interpreting this to mean that for total replacement we would get another SMB with the same original options as what we bought and what was supplied during the SMB manufacturing process.

and there is still more policy to read...(boring)...

It may be possible to interpret that to mean Ford is original manufacturer, and nothing SMB added is covered.

With a traditional RV, Winnebago (or whoever) is the original manufacturer, not the chassis manufacturer.

I'd worry about an insurance company's interpretation - when they could save many thousands of dollars.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #24
Site Team

Garage
I was taken by surprise on the day of delevery and was not a happy camper. New to be owners should beware and have a backup plan just in case. You may have read this aleady and hopefully all will go well for you Angel. Sorry I just don't trust insurance agencies
http://autoramblings.com/blog/index.php ... r+homework

Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #25

Dave, How does your GMAC policy read? They said no problem about the porta potti and that they had 5 yr total loss replacement and would pay the stated amount on the policy for the rest of the years. When I asked for something in writing she just told me how good they were but had nothing she could give me in writing.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #26

Angel - Yes to both of your questions. Replacement for first five years and stated value after that.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel
Dave, How does your GMAC policy read? They said no problem about the porta potti and that they had 5 yr total loss replacement and would pay the stated amount on the policy for the rest of the years. When I asked for something in writing she just told me how good they were but had nothing she could give me in writing.

Angel
I would have to find it and look it over. I did call several times (even months later) and got the same answer, but like I said you might have to total it out to find the true answer. You must classify it as a class B motorhome not a van conversion. I was told by a few companies it was the blackwater holding tank that they wanted to see something I don't have. So do I really have a class B motorhome? I don't really know. Also I was worried that the microwave would not qualify as a stove. So there is a big gray area. If I were to order again I would look into a built in stove of some type if necessary. I was also told a microwave was considered a stove if it's built in. Another good source is the Sportsmobile owners group. Archive that site.
Good luck.
Dave B

Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #28

This all blows my mind. We paid for $50k worth of insurance for our 2003 that we just bought for $45k and we don't even know if the insurance will pay if need be. Scary!

So, has anyone ever filed a claim????????
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage
Afroditi on the owners group but I don't remember how she was insured. I know she went through hell trying to convince them what it was worth.