Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #1

The Red SMB in Bend seems like a good deal. Am I out of line thinking that. At 75k with the other late models at around 85k. I have yet to find my dream SMB, but have been looking since Oct. 07'
Any thoughts......

Old 02-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Site Team

The red '03 diesel seems nice, but since it is an '03 diesel, confirm that it has the older 7.3L diesel, and NOT the 6.0L diesel. '03 was the transition year so some have one engine and some have the other.

The first year or two of the 6.0L diesel were plagued with problems on many Ford trucks. If it has the 6.0L, personnaly I would avoid it. If it has the 7.3L engine, I think there's a premium on that, and coupled with the low miles, I think it's a decent but not great price.

Herb
Old 02-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #3

used prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
The red '03 diesel seems nice... If it has the 7.3L engine, I think there's a premium on that, and coupled with the low miles, I think it's a decent but not great price.
I'm looking for a used one and asked about Big Red. It is a 7.3L built in early 2002. Quigley 4x4, RB-50, no stove top but many other options. My initial reaction was that a 6-year-old RV with an engine 2 generations ago should have depreciated by at least 60%. Given the low mileage make that 50%. Assuming it cost $90k new (I estimate a similar build today with updated components would be around $100k) I would expect the asking price to be $45k to $50k.

Clearly I'm way off since they are asking $75k and other vehicles on the SMB pre-owned inventory seem like they depreciate less than 10% per year. What am I missing? Do SMBs hold their value that well?
Weinermobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:02 AM   #4

FWIW:as with all things life, it is only worth as much as how much you or the next joe will pay
Old 02-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #5

I have been scouting the pre owned section practically daily at Sportsmobile for 5 years. I am always amazed at the pricing. A fresh used one would show up, and I would think to myself "Wow!! they will never get that for it". And two weeks later it would be in the sold section. From what I have been able to tell, they sell for pretty close to what they are listed for. I got discouraged at one point, and started thinking about buying a used cargo van and have the 4WD done, and just do minimal inside work. I decided against it. My wife and I just bought the 2004 green one on the website a few weeks ago. We finally just decided to get one and start using it. I think if you see one that works, you just bite the bullet and do it. The good thing is that if you take care of it, you will be able to sell it when you decide to move on. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote