Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Escalante area and hole in the rock road (50 mile rd) overlooking Powell gets real sloggy when wet, we got caught in there after a rain and it was messy! Barely made it out in 4 low sliding sideways up an incline with a sharp drop off on one side, fun! In the beginning section there’s cathedral in the desert that’s nice for a night, read up on the Mormon history in that area.
Depending on the weather, if wet/cold and you want to stay at lower elevations or something with easier access, I’d take a look at doing some things in/around Page, AZ. You can camp on the beach at Lone Rock right there on the shore of LP, probably not very busy this time of year. There’s also Antelope slot canyon tours out of Page and you could see if there’s still boat tours to rainbow bridge, accessible only from the water.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Will be riding Gooseberry Mesa turkey week an all are welcome

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #13

Garage
Tropic Reservoir turned out to be the perfect destination for this trip.
Pictures can be seen here: https://photos.stevenportnoy.com/Spo...nyon-20181025/
Here is an abbreviated trip report:

Day 1 - drove from Los Angeles, CA to Hurricane, UT. Tried to camp at the Red Cliffs campground, but it was full. Stayed at the nearby KOA instead and enjoyed showers and full hookups.
Day 2 - drove from Hurricane, UT to Kings Creek Campground near Tropic Reservoir. It's a National Forest campground with 37 sites, water and vault toilets. Half of the campground was closed, water was turned off, toilets were locked and the rest of the campground was deserted though technically not closed. Picked a great site and slept off a bad headache.
Day 3 - from the campground there were two hiking trails. Hiked the Chimney Rock / Keyhole Arch loop, about 3 miles total. Spent another night in the now only semi-deserted campground.
Day 4 - broke camp early and drove to Bryce Canyon. Saw Bryce Point and then hiked the Navajo Loop trail at Sunset Point. Ate lunch then drove to Las Vegas and 'camped' at the Wynn.
Day 5 - returned home to Los Angeles.

Interesting footnote to staying overnight in Las Vegas; the security guard at the Wynn noticed the axe locked to my Alumines box and required it and all my other weapons to be checked in and locked in their safe for the duration of my stay. They took my handgun, taser, pepper spray and pocket knife as well as the axe. Not sure if they would have even said anything if they hadn't noticed the axe. We had to park the van offsite as it was too tall to fit in their underground parking, which I was prepared for, but even so, the lot was considered Wynn property and subject to their new security policy.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #14

Good too see you liked the area. Nice pics you sure do get the color of the rock to pop out.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInLA View Post
Tropic Reservoir turned out to be the perfect destination for this trip.
Pictures can be seen here: https://photos.stevenportnoy.com/Spo...nyon-20181025/
Here is an abbreviated trip report:

Day 1 - drove from Los Angeles, CA to Hurricane, UT. Tried to camp at the Red Cliffs campground, but it was full. Stayed at the nearby KOA instead and enjoyed showers and full hookups.
Day 2 - drove from Hurricane, UT to Kings Creek Campground near Tropic Reservoir. It's a National Forest campground with 37 sites, water and vault toilets. Half of the campground was closed, water was turned off, toilets were locked and the rest of the campground was deserted though technically not closed. Picked a great site and slept off a bad headache.
Day 3 - from the campground there were two hiking trails. Hiked the Chimney Rock / Keyhole Arch loop, about 3 miles total. Spent another night in the now only semi-deserted campground.
Day 4 - broke camp early and drove to Bryce Canyon. Saw Bryce Point and then hiked the Navajo Loop trail at Sunset Point. Ate lunch then drove to Las Vegas and 'camped' at the Wynn.
Day 5 - returned home to Los Angeles.

Interesting footnote to staying overnight in Las Vegas; the security guard at the Wynn noticed the axe locked to my Alumines box and required it and all my other weapons to be checked in and locked in their safe for the duration of my stay. They took my handgun, taser, pepper spray and pocket knife as well as the axe. Not sure if they would have even said anything if they hadn't noticed the axe. We had to park the van offsite as it was too tall to fit in their underground parking, which I was prepared for, but even so, the lot was considered Wynn property and subject to their new security policy.
Nice pictures. Was Wynn security ok with you sleeping in your van? Pop top raised?
Bajaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 PM   #16
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I stayed a night in Vegas last year on my way to Baja and will be doing the same this year. Mandalay Bay let me stay in their overflow lot across the street (yes, next to the concert venue incident) I didn’t pop the top, might have to this time though, will have the fam, shouldn’t be an issue.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajaguy View Post
Nice pictures.
Thank you very much. Check out https://photos.stevenportnoy.com when you have several free hours to see my other photographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajaguy View Post
Was Wynn security ok with you sleeping in your van? Pop top raised?
We did not stay in the van that night though it probably would have been quieter if we had. A 1:30 am Monday morning techno rave managed to wake us up on the 21st floor. The strip holds little to attract us anymore. Next time we don't want to battle Las Vegas to LA Sunday traffic, we will stay somewhere else.