Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
So whats it cost ya?

Some people camp for cheap, some dont... but I love to get away every weekend. Anyone here figured out what a weekend costs them for camping out? I love the primitive, hard to get to spots, but sometimes I go with people who are "less" than adventurous.

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #2

Re: So whats it cost ya?

In general, it costs us less camping out in the Sporty than staying at home for the weekend.

If we stay home, there will be several extra trips to the grocery store to get that item you forgot to get. And of course I will have to stop off at the wine and beer shop on the way, in case they have something on sale. If its in summer time, there's always the temptation to stop at the plant nursery for a few extra plants for the garden.

Can't do any of that when were are camped 100 miles back next to the Bob Marshall Wilderness or Glacier National Park.

If you figure in what we paid for the Sporty, we have gotten it down to around $500 a night for the two of us, on a per night basis camping out 35-50 nights a year. A bargain in my book.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #3

About half our weekends are free. National Forest or whatever. Some are National Parks or developed National Forest for $5-10/night (one of the benefits of aging) and some are State Parks, usually near the coast, for up to $30.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #4

Priceless.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #5

Yep, priceless. No way I could rationalize the economics of the SMB by calculating my per night cost of camping, or any other use. It is a luxury purchase for sure. But for the enjoyment and time with family it provides, the ROI is very high.
R
Old 02-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #6

I spend 36hrs a week working in an Intensive Care Unit taking care of people who are trying hard to go to the light
Working nights means more pressure on me to be ahead of the game.

My camping time is sometimes with the Family, sometimes with the Family doing Boy Scouts and sometimes with a newbie on a Disabled Explorers adventure.

If it wasn't for the outdoor time I would stick a syringe in my eye and call it done
What price can I put to that.

I love my job, but I love more that my job lets me enjoy the outdoors more days than I have to spend at my job.....Return on Investment, the yield is excellent.

Oh and I normally primitive camp so no site fee, same food as at home in the fridge, so other than fuel little to no additional cost vs staying home.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

I guess I'm trying to rationalize leaving the house every weekend I hate staying at home on weekends. My wife likes to use Gas prices to make me stay home and work on the yard.
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote