Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Speaking of fires

Fire season in New Mexico kicked off last week with multiple red flag days and 4 events in response. That included 70 mph sustained winds, with 90 mph gusts, 150 burnt homes and two deaths in 48 hours at Ruidoso’s McBride fire. If you’d like to see more detail for an event near you or your upcoming trip than Inciweb offers, GaiaGps has a wildfire overlay available in its pro version. I don’t know how frequently it updates but it was accurate as of this morning for the four wildfires currently burning in NM.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:28 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Same in CO, we’ve had several smaller fires since the big Marshall fire hit around the holidays at the end of last year that took 1000 homes and businesses, kicked up by high winds and drier than normal conditions.
Which brings me to my PSA-
When visiting or traveling through NM or CO or any other high risk fire area, please make yourself aware of any fire restrictions currently in place and make sure you adhere to the guidelines.
Oh, and for f*•k sake, no throwing your cigarette butts out the window!! Go ahead and smoke all you want, kill yourself, I don’t care, but quit littering and sparking fires on the side of the road. Drives me nuts!
…..ok, I’m going for a drive now to calm myself down
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:13 PM   #3

It's time for a permanent campfire ban in southwestern national forests. Nobody pays attention when we go into stage II restrictions anyway.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
It's time for a permanent campfire ban in southwestern national forests. Nobody pays attention when we go into stage II restrictions anyway.
Couldn’t agree more, Joe. The most discouraging thing is when the forest service sweeps the hills, especially after holidays, to douse the fires people left burning. Even worse when they camped or partied in the back country.

Last summer we were camped on a side road north of here. There was an irrigation ditch flowing beside the road. Another party was camped a few 100 feet away from us. They spent one night and left their fire burning, as in flames. We walked two feet to the ditch beside the fire for the water we used to put it out.

Thoroughly dousing fires is even more fun when people are gone but returning to their camp. We make sure no one is going to start a fire in that location any time soon.

An interesting sidebar to the irrigation ditch. It helped feed a wetland and was maintained by local grazers as part of a deal with the USFS. They kept the ditch clear so it helped keep the wetland wet through the summer. After summer rains (remember those?) and late flowering, they brought their cattle in to graze the soon to be dormant grass

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:18 PM   #5

Fires can be started so easy. A few years ago a friend of ours living near Sedona, AZ told us about a guy towing a trailer and his safety chain had come off and was dragging on the asphalt and had sparked over 11 fires in a 3 mile stretch of road. When the cops finally stopped him the guy had no idea what he had done and was planning on driving another 150 miles that day.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:48 PM   #6

Yup, dragging chains on a trailer on I40 sparked a fire that threatened the southwest side of Flagstaff a few years back.

The primary ignition source are generally lightening strikes but illegal campfires are a close second. The Museum Fire that burned 2000 acres of Dry Lake Hills and Elden was ironically sparked by the blade on a dozer as part of forest thinning but the 2010 Schultz Fire that burned the northeast side of the San Francisco Peaks was an abandoned campfire. That one burned until it ran out of fuel.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
In the category of anything can start a fire, the 2002 Kokopelli fire, also in Ruidoso where the McBride fire is burning now, was started by a tooth breaking loose from a table saw and landing in dry grass outside a homeowner’s garage.

Old 04-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #8

just made it through

I took this pic last Tues just before the Tunnel Fire jumped hwy 89 here in Flagstaff. We were on our way out of town and just made it through before the closed the hwy which is still closed forcing a detour through the S. Rim Grand Canyon Nat. Park. The new normal I guess but fire season around here doesn't start till mid May. 30 homes lost and the fire has burned over the majority of Sunset Crater National Monument. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/8068/68256/
Attached Thumbnails
Tunnel Fire.jpg  
Old 04-26-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Fires can be started so easy. A few years ago a friend of ours living near Sedona, AZ told us about a guy towing a trailer and his safety chain had come off and was dragging on the asphalt and had sparked over 11 fires in a 3 mile stretch of road. When the cops finally stopped him the guy had no idea what he had done and was planning on driving another 150 miles that day.

People can be pretty oblivious. I was behind a trailer that caught fire going through the Mojave. Flames were coming out of a vent on the driver's side but it still took a while to chase the guy down and get him to notice. I didn't have the horsepower to pass him and force the issue, but a guy behind me in a pickup saw what the situation was and did.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:18 PM   #10

Ive given up completely on having a campfire too much trouble, stinky clothes after a few days, and ash and dirt, My buddy created the trailfiregrill. A propane firepit/ with a large carbon steel cooker. I am a user and love it. IF fires are allowed I justr bring a large bag of charcoal and dumpo it in and its even hotter, with no smoke. Im done with fir rings and hauling firewood. No affiliation, google trailfire grill.
Lcavalletti is offline   Reply With Quote