Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Stunned and amazed

I am as the title says. There are so many SMB for sale this spring. It is truly impressive, about ten so far this month and it is only the 7th. I do not remember seeing this many for sale at the same time in the past. The prices that poeple are asking seems crazy as well.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

Add another one. I sold mine and never even advertised it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

Why do you think this is? Just overall economy? Better technology coming out? Are they reaching an age where it's time to upgrade? I have an 07 with 113k miles and it runs perfect, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking at some sprinter/transit type chassis every now and then.
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Right now it seems like living the van life is pretty trendy in popular culture. In the last month I have seen quite a few articles about how great it is to get out in your trusty rig and see the great outdoors. Even The Wall Street Journal had an article about it. I think the craze will pass and so will the crazy prices. Now does seem like the time to sell though. I got a rusty 2002 7.3 Quigley with 94k miles. Who wants it?
CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
In passing I'd wonder if the newer chassis from Ford are having any sort of impact on the SMB buy/sell/trade markets? The long thought is perhaps some are being sold with those proceeds going to a new build?

I do recall the WSJ's article about SMB's---given their range of clients that most certainly created curiosity which potentially fueled this current frenzy.

For us here in the land of 4 seasons spring is upon so which always energizes the "outdoor living" Gestalt!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVo View Post
Right now it seems like living the van life is pretty trendy in popular culture. In the last month I have seen quite a few articles about how great it is to get out in your trusty rig and see the great outdoors. Even The Wall Street Journal had an article about it. I think the craze will pass and so will the crazy prices. Now does seem like the time to sell though. I got a rusty 2002 7.3 Quigley with 94k miles. Who wants it?
I agree completely, but I'm not sure the craze will pass and prices will drop. More and more young folks are realizing they'll never live like they're parents, nor do they really want to, and they're saying "Screw it! I can live in a home built van or RV, work from home and actually have a life instead of a life having me!" I like it personally, except when they suck up all the good camping spots. I think the world is changing and it won't come back.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Garage
Great, just fan****ingtastic! Just when I'm ready to buy! What timing! I curse the WSJ!
Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #8

Cheap gas prices always influence the RV market upwards.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 04-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

I agree with most of this also. I feel like the whole living in a van thing is super trendy right now and will probably stick around for a while.
It is possible for lots of people to live that way and work from the road. I sure wish I could! I think younger people are exposed to more things sooner in life with all the social media and some latch on the the freedom of van life. It does make it hard to find more remote spots which sucks, but most of the people I've met or run across that are into vans in some way are usually pretty good people.
The amount of vans for sale is surprising! And the prices! I think a lot of people are making money off the trend right now. All the custom van bits you could want are available from lots of places right now. Suspension, interior builds etc. There are several businesses providing these things as well as individuals with lots of skill building these just to sell them!
It seems to be a thriving market and someday I hope it will tank so I can afford to make some of those upgrades people will be off loading for cheap! ��
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #10

Garage
I think we're reaching a point where there's a large part of the population that finds themselves with the money and the time to go out and camp. This same group of people is also one that enjoys adventure and (generally) doing things differently than their predecessors did, meaning camping more off-grid and seeing things that not just everybody else can see with their sedan. They probably want to camp with a few extra creature comforts, making tent camping less enjoyable to them, and the SMB really fits the bill (this is exactly why I got into one). The fact that Ford isn't making any more econolines has to be driving the prices of them up considerably? Additionally, as more and more people do this sort of adventure camping, it raises awareness of it to a much wider audience.
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote