Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
Site Team

The beginning of the end...

Is this the beginning of the end of van life as a social media trend?

https://santafe.craigslist.org/pts/d...281133285.html

Old 02-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #2

Guaranteed you’d be better off asking here for free then paying someone else!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #3

It happens in most every endeavor. Starts out grass roots and completely genuine. Later it becomes trendy and commercialized, ruining the true spirit of the thing. Reminds me of the Harley shops that sell stuff to the office workers so they can pretend to be Hells Angels on their weekend "rides".
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Guaranteed you’d be better off asking here for free then paying someone else!
I wouldn't be surprised if they had a presence here, contributing or in stealth mode, and then use that to feed their "assessments".

Herb
Old 02-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #5

I hope I'm still around by the time the next generation comes up with #houselife. What a concept! No need for a plug in, or water tank. Always connected to the grid!

I'll be ready to take their money.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
It happens in most every endeavor. Starts out grass roots and completely genuine. Later it becomes trendy and commercialized, ruining the true spirit of the thing. Reminds me of the Harley shops that sell stuff to the office workers so they can pretend to be Hells Angels on their weekend "rides".

Yeah, no kidding. I watched the whole Harley thing go up and down like a roller coaster over the years.

There will always be the hard core faithful, still camping, exploring, building, even after the 'nut swingers' loose their grip and fall off! Ha!
Old 02-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #7
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I hope I'm still around by the time the next generation comes up with #houselife. What a concept! No need for a plug in, or water tank. Always connected to the grid!

I'll be ready to take their money.

Affordable houses are even harder to find than affordable Sportsmobiles. As a society we decided at some point that owning real estate is about investing, not about housing people, so we've underbuilt for decades to make sure property values keep going up.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Affordable houses are even harder to find than affordable Sportsmobiles. As a society we decided at some point that owning real estate is about investing, not about housing people, so we've underbuilt for decades to make sure property values keep going up.
I see perfectly good houses sitting empty around me because they are owned by foreign "investors" (usually Chinese) who have no intention of living in them. There are local families who need these dwellings, but there they sit - empty and unused. This kind of thing is wrong and it needs to be stopped.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #9

Garage
Always have alcohol at the house, but still elect to visit the Pubs (maybe it the atmosphere, meeting new people, or just a form of entertainment), either way I still have to pay when I order.
This group evidently extracted a lot of useful information and created a cocktail that will probably appeal to many... Have to give them credit.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I agree. I am not actually in to real estate, having only ever owned two homes, the first for a year and the second I still live in 20+ years later. I might own one more. Not really in to real estate investing either.

What cracks me up is the fad nature or #vanlife. I'm not calling anyone here out. By and large the SMB group here are older and have these things as toys, not primary residences. Those that do choose to live in them are not rebelling against society.

As human beings we have evolved in to living in fixed structures. It only makes sense. That's where I think the young #vanlife crowd has sort of gone off the rails....but they'll be back.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote