Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #1

The dodge sportsmobile...

So it seems the dodge full size van sportsmobile is slowly becoming extinct. Especially since dodge no longer even makes full size vans other than the sprinter which really is its' own animal. Since I just bought myself an extended dodge sportsmobile I am starting this thread as a place for people to post any and everything dodge. I actually would love it if we could get a forum topic on the home page like the dodge sprinter, but then I guess chevy and GM would need their space as well.

I would love to hear about 4x4 conversions/options as many aftermarket 4x4 shops no longer offer dodge 4x4 conversions and those that are left seem reluctant to do a conversion and also charge a premium.

I'd like to know what kind of rear shocks people are running as well as what kind of modifications have been done to improve van sway when driving down the hwy. The extended vans have so much hanging of the back axle I would like to know what peoples opinions are regarding adding a heavier bumper or weight in general off the back...say a hitch cargo carrrier for example.

Many more questions...

Cheers

Louie

Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: The dodge sportsmobile...

There's a Dodge SMB in the Classifieds right now. 2x4 however.

Herb
Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Couple other owners around. Here's some candy for you:

Old 04-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

I own a 2001 Dodge 3500 SMB and I have a swing-a-way hitch with a 5 cu. ft. Stow-a-way box
on the rear. We do not have a problem with the rear shocks at all. The only issue we have had was on on 12,000 mile journey last summer when we came to very steep dips in the pavement. And that was very rare. In fact, mine is for sale now (very low mileage).

Flyfishinggal
flyfishinggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #5

That's a nice looking dodge. If it had 4x4 it would be very tempting.
Jage, thanks for the youtube link. Very nice!
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #6

Anyone have any advice or how to go about taking this window and the one on the otherside and swapping them out with slider windows. Would love some windows with screens I can leave open at night.
L
Attached Thumbnails
van window.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
Anyone have any advice or how to go about taking this window and the one on the otherside and swapping them out with slider windows. Would love some windows with screens I can leave open at night.
L
I'd say start with the same size or slightly bigger if that's possible. Putting metal back to downsize to the window is hard. That looks like a pretty big window, but I don't think it's difficult if you find the right size- not like a windshield which is near impossible to get out and in as a layman.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #8

So now I'm eyeballing a rear locker for my van. Anyone know if anyone makes a selectable rear locker for a Chrysler 9.25" axle?
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #9

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chrysler+rear+locker+9.25

Detroit, ARB, powertrax lockright all come up page one. ARB is the only selectable one of those, but I'd say common based on the results, so you might find it in OX or Auburn...
Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #10

The ARB would require an axle swap since it will not work with the rear chrysler 9.25 axle. Wondering if swapping out the rear axle with a Dana 70 would effect van control issues such as sway or braking ability. The open lockers are cheaper and tempting, but don't want them to lock up when I'm going 65 in a rain storm.