Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #1

the end of the road...

Christine and I went out to the "end of the road" yesterday. This is a two-track out to the middle of Sardis Lake in North Mississippi, a Corp o' Engineers flood control reservoir with the largest earthen dam in the U.S. At summer level, the lake covers 32,000 acres, at winter level about 10,000, leaving 20 odd thousand acres of mud flats. No, we didn't dare drive in the mudflats in the van, even ATV's struggle. At summer high-level the water would be at the level of the steering wheel. This is a surreal 'scape, apologies for poor photos of the area, we can only focus on the van... it is like our child.

Attached Thumbnails
HurricaneLanding401.jpeg   HurricaneLanding398.jpeg   HurricaneLanding400.jpeg  

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #2

Re: the end of the road...

Oh yeah, a couple of other notes:
This reservoir catches from the Tallahatchie River, famous from Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billie Joe". If BJ jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge as the song suggests, he died from a broken neck or head trauma from hitting the bottom, not from impact on the water/deceleration. The pics are at the edge of the river bed.

The dead trees are Bald Cypress trees that succumbed to silting-in, as the dammed flow leaves the silt at the base, thus killing the trees by slow suffocation.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #3

Garage

love the pix...and would like to see more, but are these for sale or something? you posted these in the classifieds
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
love the pix...and would like to see more, but are these for sale or something? you posted these in the classifieds
Admins... Help!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I'll help.
First try a rattletrap in crawfish color. If that don't work try a white spinnerbait and do the bump the log trick. If all else fails move to a plastic worm or a jig with a pork trailer. Of course if your into top water a Zara Spook or buzz bait might be the ticket...Oh don't forget the jerk bait, I'm sure you know how to work that Marc, it's # 1 in my book [edit] Err, the 5" black and silver Rebel
Thought I'd better explain that.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I'll help.
First try a rattletrap in crawfish color. If that don't work try a white spinnerbait and do the bump the log trick. If all else fails move to a plastic worm or a jig with a pork trailer. Of course if your into top water a Zara Spook or buzz bait might be the ticket...Oh don't forget the jerk bait, I'm sure you know how to work that Marc, it's # 1 in my book [edit] Err, the 5" black and silver Rebel
Thought I'd better explain that.
@daveb... give a man a spinnerbait, he'll have fish for a day. Give a man a stick of dynamite he'll have fish for a month
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #7

It's Mississippi guys. I lived there 4 years, and was told you just grapple under the log and when they bite onto your hand you just pull them out ... and eat them.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by salivan
It's Mississippi guys. I lived there 4 years, and was told you just grapple under the log and when they bite onto your hand you just pull them out ... and eat them.
That would be true. I have built a few grabblin' boxes (underwater corrals) over the years, for customers... I've never done it. Dying craft now, there's no app for it.

Christine moved here from her native New England. She had not yet to be exposed to much of the southern way, when my buddy/box-customer Dale showed up one afternoon. Understand that almost all grabblers catch-and-release, but will take a fish now and then for the table. Dale had the head of about-a-40 pounder laying in the back of his pickup among all the beer cans and crap. We had added a new layer of beer cans, when we decided it was time to have some fun-with-the-fishhead. We got it mounted on a pole, all bloody and nasty, and sneaked up to an open window of Christine's studio, stumblin' and gigglin' like 5th graders... and BOOM... showed her that thang.
She didn't even flinch, just looked back down and went to work
Old 02-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #9

She obviously by that time in her married life new the source.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote