Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #1

The New Adventuremobile (non SMB)

Hello all! I have stalked the forum a fair bit since I reluctantly sold the SMB and I miss the camaraderie of it. After trying without success to find a decent E series platform to build or another SMB I decided on a truck/camper combo.
I found an 2002 F250 4x4 with the 7.3L with only 110k miles and then purchased a 2014 Lance 825 (the smallest one Lance makes). I'm into the whole setup for less than $41k.
I have sacrificed some off road ability for a bit more comfort it seems. Still not 100% sure if i'm ok with that decision yet but we'll see where I have the nerve to take this setup. The combo weighs in at 10,800lbs, the same as our 04' SMB did.
A few observations from the 9 day trip we spent in our new rig:
Pros:
A lot of easily accessible storage (more than the SMB)
Great kitchen layout and countertop height
Queen size bed
Enclosed shower/bathroom
Quiet and well insulated (double pane windows)
30 gallon fresh water tank
Heated holding tanks and plumbing
The ability to drop the camper, not break down camp and drive the truck elsewhere
7.3L reliability and simplicity
Inexpensive

Cons:
No cool factor like the SMB
Living space separate from the driving space
Overall height and width
Off road prowess
Less open to your campsite
Makes us feel old
Smaller fuel tank on the truck
Reduced battery capacity

The truck handles the weight of the camper with ease. It's not top-heavy but does sway more than the SMB did.

The microwave has since been removed and a cabinet door is in place.

Perhaps someday we will have a SMB again but we're going to give this a shot for a while.

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #2

Re: The New Adventuremobile (non SMB)

Looks like a nice combo. I was stalking your thread on ExPo as well. Can't wait to hear how it works out. I've considered a truck/camper set-up as well but I just don't have the room to store two vehicles.

Congrats!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

wow what great alternative. lance is great name and a new one on the best f-series made (imo)

especially at that price point. Get me thinking myself of what is possible.

Is it easy to drop off the Lance part and just leave at at site to drive around the truck or is that
complicated?

Great going and thanks for sharing.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #4

It's very easy to drive out from the camper. The jacks are electric and have a wireless remote. You unhook the truck, raise the camper and drive out. 5 minutes. Putting it back on takes about 10 minutes for me as I take a lot of care to get it exact on the truck.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

Cool Saline. Glad to have you back around. Great looking setup and it shouldn't make you feel old. I really dig the wheel/tire combo, that reverses any possible old factor. I think about going this route from time to time, especially when I see that kind of kitchen and full bath/shower!

Beautiful 1st pic too!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Cool Saline. Glad to have you back around. Great looking setup and it shouldn't make you feel old...
Depends if he's wearing plaid shorts, or wearing white leather shoes with a matching belt.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Cool Saline. Glad to have you back around. Great looking setup and it shouldn't make you feel old...
Depends if he's wearing plaid shorts, or wearing white leather shoes with a matching belt.
What about a jumpsuit, black socks and birkinstocks?!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Cool Saline. Glad to have you back around. Great looking setup and it shouldn't make you feel old. I really dig the wheel/tire combo, that reverses any possible old factor. I think about going this route from time to time, especially when I see that kind of kitchen and full bath/shower!

Beautiful 1st pic too!
^^^ all that!

ive always liked that bodystyle. lets see some more pix
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #9

Give us a mpg update Saline, if you keep up with it. I'm curious how the 7.3 truck with camper is vs. your van. I would think the front cap would bring down your mileage due to wind resistance but I'm curious how yours works out.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #10

Two of my buddies just bought Lances, one used and one new. They had a Class A (37') and fifth wheel, respectively. They wanted more mobility. The Lances are nice. Is there anyone who does custom jobs on them? I' frustrated with so many RVs because they all assume a certain number of people with certain needs.

Dunno about your rig, but with theirs it isn't so hard taking it off, but getting it back on in a dirt campground isn't the quickest, esp. if it has sunk a bit in soft ground...don't ask me how I know.

I'm curious about the choice of truck; many campers seem to be on trucks with crew cabs. Is reason a reason besides just more passenger space? Duallie?

And what did you as advantages over a Class B, B+ or C?