Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #1

Garage
the van stigma is real and lives on strong as ever

over the holiday I went to go visit family in eastern idaho and was able to meet up with member unimat and check out the homemade top setup he built for his express, which is way cool, but not what this is about. a funny thing happened while at his place and I had to post it up. if he hadn't of whitnessed what went down, I don't think anyone would have believed it really happened, hahaha.

short but sweet and imho, funny as hell. plus it has a happy ending and proves that some kids really do listen and occasionally pay attention these days.

so there we were talkin vans in matts garage out of view from the street. my van at the curb with barn doors open. i notice a young girl walking her dog staring at her phone walking by matts driveway. as she nears my windowless van, dark tinted windows, with barn doors open towards the sidewalk, she pauses. she actually looked up from her phone and took a heavy look at my van. she stands there looking at my van for a few moments, then decides to walk out in the street to go around my van and once by the potential danger of a possible abduction returns back to the sidewalk and continues on walking her pup and returned to staring at her phone.

now we had a good laugh but it made me think that this young girl actually realized the potential threat and took action to keep herself out of harms way. really was a win win situation. a good laugh for us and an exercise in safety for her.

anyway, just thought I'd share. hope it at least brings a smiles to a few faces. happy thursday

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #2

This is why you don't open the barn doors unti... uh nevermind.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #3

You should really wipe off that "free candy" sign that your friends smeared onto the side.

True story; one of my friends did this to my van. I noticed it at a gas station a couple hundred miles later. I wiped it off, the gas station attendant got a good laugh. Sigh...

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #4

Garage
^^^ ha! no free candy fingered into grime. the van was actually clean that day. had to wash all the bug juice off that morning, so I know it was lacking any free candy signage besides this girl was likely a teen judging by the amount of staring into her phone. it would have needed to say free beer to really lure her in. plus my wife doesn't enjoy the free candy humor at all. I wanted this on our plates... she didn't even find it amusing

another story where I should have got a pic, cause it will likely never happen again...

our cousin lives 2 doors down and their daughter knows we have a candy dish on our table that usually has the goods in it. she was running an in house daycare at the time and she would take the kids out for walks around the block. on one of her excursions i got a knock at my door from her little girl. shes shy around me an asks for my wife who wasn't there. she stands there acting all bashful and from around the corner 4-5 other kids shuffle up our stairs with big grins. then her mama walks up and smiles and says, she knows you guys have that candy dish and she took it upon herself to offer some to all the kids. at this time we were out inside, but our group had been on a trip the weekend before and someone bought a bag of bulk candy and left it in my van. I tell them to follow me out to the van. I find the bag, then leave it in the barn door opening and let them have at it. I stand back out the way of the frenzy and chat with my cousin a bit while they get their fill. there all those kids were hanging out in the doorway and I didn't get a pic. would have been the perfect picture but I didn't think about it until they had already left

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
This is why you don't open the barn doors unti... uh nevermind.
yes, the element of surprise is key...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #5

Garage
Hi. I have set of number plates on my pickup, DVEIGHT.

Stands for Diesel V8, but I get a few funny looks and sad comments.

Cheers
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #6

Ja Ja!
After I gotta teaching gig and stopped doing pick-up carpentry we sold our old Dodge van; it aroused to much suspicion to roll up to the school yard in a scooby van and slip off into the campus...
But, when I drove my mom's Prius - everyone was all cheery and comfortable; their preconceptions of what a seems safe was satisfied.
Now, when I roll up in the e350 4x4 crusher fully loaded and decked out to leave work to escape to the mountains - I end up having to tour the crowd through how bitchin it is and assure the weeping fathers that some day they'll be looking like tough guys (and I emphasize 'looking', I'm far from a tough guy, just gotta a phenomenal van for backcountry really) too...
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote