Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #1

The Wait

What now? The van is on the build floor. More research only makes me start to doubt my decisions. I've got nothing to touch.

Tick, tick, tick...

Start planning the fist trip? What did you guys do during this part?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #2

Re: The Wait

I think second guessing is normal, but I bet you made the right decisions when you placed the order. Just remember this is an ongoing process. You will never stop tinkering and adding things. Its been almost 2.5 years now for me and its far from perfect yet.

Plan some trips. Put together the tools, furnishings, and gadgets you will need.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #3

We did want Charlie is talking about....made lists of things we wanted to have in the van, went through our backpacking gear to see what might work, bought a tool bag and started buying tools to carry, sorted maps, got a first aid kit together, etc. We had a 6-month wait time and after a couple of months, the floor in one room of our house was covered with "stuff" to go in the van. We use a lot of Eagle Creek Pack-Its for things like silverware, toiletries, etc. and spent some time sorting, arranging, and packing. Once we got a positive delivery date, we also started planning our first trip (a two-week, 3560 mile trip from the Bay Area to Grand Canyon NP, Sedona, Taos, Canyonlands NP and Arches NP before reluctantly heading home). The first two days after picking up our van were spent loading everything up and we headed out the next day.

I think you'll find lots of things to do!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #4

I have to chuckle at the suggestions. Soon after you accumalate bags of stuff to go in the van, you realize you should have ordered a larger vehicle!
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 AM   #5

"I'm going to keep everything in the van, then when I want to get away I can just throw a small bag in the van and go."

Still waiting for that to happen!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
"I'm going to keep everything in the van, then when I want to get away I can just throw a small bag in the van and go."

that's what I *always* say, and it's always a two day prep, a la the space shuttle launch...
Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
That is actually our approach and it works pretty well. We still need to grab a few things (cell phones, prescription drugs, booze, etc.) but we could do a 2-3 day trip right now with only a 20 minute packing exercise.

Before we bought our van, a weekend camping trip always sounded like a great idea but it took several nights be lug all of the equipment out of storage, pack clothes and food, etc. Then on Sunday, you needed to reverse the process. The packing process typically resulted in less camping trips. Now, we keep everything from swim suits to rain jackets and pants to long johns in the van and don't even switch things out for the seasons. We have a number of duffel bags stocked with specialized stuff...a couple bags for snow shoeing, a couple for kayaking, another couple for fly fishing, etc. that we grab depending on where we are going. When we return from a trip, it takes about 20 minutes to drain the gray water and fill the water tank, clean out the frig, swap out the dirty clothes, restock disposable items, etc. I try to keep the van with at least 25 gals of gas in the tanks and the propane at least at 1/2 tank. As has been mentioned before from some in California, our van doubles as our earthquake kit...
Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Mcbeast was designed with the same idea ... We can be ready in minutes to head out on an extended trip ... Only needing clothes, rx, grub, cellphone ...
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #9

I believe this is the stage where we sold our house and gave away most of our stuff...
Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbadger
I believe this is the stage where we sold our house and gave away most of our stuff...
I can relate to that! I'm currently consolidating the funds so I don't look silly when Alan says, " so, that will be 50 kagillion dollars" in a few weeks.