Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #1

Tiger LB CA, passed on another, needs $6K repairs, HELP!

All I do is read the forum, google for used SMB's, make plane reservations, and pay for 3rd party SMB inspections! Is there a program for this? lol First it was that nighmare one at PPL/Houston, needs $8K in repairs, now the one at SMB Texas ( Silver 2000 Ford RB E-350, price $28,500) needs 5-6k in repairs that I know of. Is every SMB for sale a project?

Now since I have plane tickets anyway, I'm going to SMB Texas on Thurs (1/31/08)at 3:30 and probably Fri AM to look at the 2002 Dodge RB 2500 Ram, $29,000...its seems high for an 02, what do you all think? Should it be a 3500? Do you know of any others for sale now or in the comming month or two?

Today trying to get repairs estimates for new fuel injectors for the Ford 7.3 diesel was scary, wow do they cost allot to repair!

So now I guess I'm looking for an 2 wheel drive SMB, RWB, gasser, as loaded as possible for camping and as LOW profile as possible, good news on the Dodge..its only 6' 10" I'm told. For my job I have to park all over Los Angeles, sometimes in parking garages, usually 7' max. I would LOVE to get a 4x4, but they are too tall!

I can't wait to meet you all, and want to get on the SCal trip/meeting list. I am downsizing from a Bluebird Wanderlodge 91sp-36 thats for sale, only100K! lol
I just couldn't go and buy one of those plastic palaces, I don't feel safe in them after studying how they are built...like a big igloo!

After I sell the Bus and play with a used SMB for a year, I might want to build one...but is it just me that thinks in 2-3 years the NEW Vans may get 30, 40 MPG if they are hybrids? Sprinter is already testing them! This would make any Vans that are NEW today very undesirable, don't you think? WHEW!

2002 Dodge 2500 5.2, PH, center aisle, 2cf Refrigerator, Starcool A/C, Propane Furnace, 110V Water Heater, Microwave, Inverter, Van Radio Switch, Battery Monitor, Under-floor Storage, Trailer Receiver Hitch, mud flaps, PPotti...New Geaux Tiger Bus! On order new CA Lic plates..LSU1TGR.......yahooooo!.com
Tigersmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #2

Garage
If you're looking at vehicles that are all 6 to 8 years old, yes, they will need some repairs and maintenance. What seems to be the problem? That's why they are selling for so little.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #3

Hi Jeffery, I have a a truck and a Van that are 2000/2002

And they are in great condition! I would not let anyone waste their time and money comming to see, test drive, arrange financing and try to buy them without completely disclosing anything that was not in good/great repair. If they wanted to have a 3rd party inspection, anything that was found would be fixed or a proper credit given. So its really not a huge problem, I'm just frustrated right now, but I know I will find one, esp. if I keep in touch with all of you on the forum. I was in contact with both sellers who knew I was comming in from California to test drive the SMBs, not across town! They both disclosed NOTHING!

I would love a newer one, but as you all know there are only a few for sale at any given time, so I am looking at the ones I can find right now. And there is not a way to buy a new one without a long wait, so a pre owned one seems like a way to get started now.
2002 Dodge 2500 5.2, PH, center aisle, 2cf Refrigerator, Starcool A/C, Propane Furnace, 110V Water Heater, Microwave, Inverter, Van Radio Switch, Battery Monitor, Under-floor Storage, Trailer Receiver Hitch, mud flaps, PPotti...New Geaux Tiger Bus! On order new CA Lic plates..LSU1TGR.......yahooooo!.com
Tigersmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Site Team

FWIW, if you have Quadvan do the 4x4 conversion, or maybe Salem Kroger as well, you can have it done with only a 2" lift, instead of the 4" or so for a SMB conversion. Not sure what height that results in, but it may open up more options for you.

Bummer that you're not finding out about some of the needed repairs until you look over the van,

Herb
Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #5

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
My motto, 'used is much cheaper than buying new'. Use the inspection to get a better price. Also, what if you get 'lucky'; get a clean SMB, only to go 10k miles and something major occurs. The only protection you have is new and even that is limited to a time/mileage.

I have a 95 dodge SMB. 7' is definitely the limit. I have roof scratches to prove it!

I avoid diesels for the simple reason I cannot work on them. I only trust a Certified diesel mechanic...and they are very expensive. Plus last check, diesel was 20% more expensive than gas at the pump. My 5.9L has plenty of power for me. No towing, no trail riding.

I would get a 3/4 ton, especially for used. Everything is heavier duty and will last longer...the exception would be for a transformer, which is much lighter weight.

My SMB is 130k miles old, I have a lot of work. Fortunate for me, I work on engines for a living and have the equipment to do most work myself.

Good luck...

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #6

I bought mine used through SMB West and I really feel like they did me a diservice. Based on their assurances that it was absolutely pristine I drove 16 hours and paid top dollar. Even the cosmetic and obvious defects that were their wouldn't budge the guy $500 from where we arrived before I drove out.

The engine light came on before I was off his street and the roof leaked, both of which I've battled a half dozen times to get them right. I got a new turbo in Indiana which really seems to have fixed the engine light problem and well I hate to say it (knock on wood) but I think the roof is no longer leaking thanks to Panion and Scalf77s help.

It was clear the owner knew about both issues and there were a dozen more things I've found that were just like, "Wha?" as in what the **** was this guy thinking? He also outright lied about ****, like claiming to have replaced both the fuel filters- well just before leaving for Colorado last month I took it to a good diesel place in Tucson and had them do both fuel filters. They'd never been touched, of course but having seen everything else I wasn't suprised.

I think that I've finally gotten to problems that are new and mine, and not inherited. It's pretty bad that I'm happy when something breaks and there is no evidence under the break that the old owner monkeyed with it.

And sure I expect all these things buying used- but not at the level I paid and not for a <2 year old high end specialty vehicle.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #7

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Greeting Jage,

Buyer beware! I'm glad most of your problems were easily fixed. I got a 'deal' for my SMB because it needed work, and I'm experienced enough to not screw it up. I still drool over a $60k new SMB, but my '95 was $8K...I couldn't go wrong. I assume in 10 years I'll sell mine for $3k and maybe buy another used one or a new one. $500/year is a good deal...i use it as my 3rd car.

I have never purchased an extended warranty, but I would for any diesel. The cost of one repair would pay for itself. Was your turbo covered?

I know what you mean about sellers and lying. Money brings out the worst in people.

Question: given your issues...would you buy used again? Why/Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I bought mine used through SMB West and I really feel like they did me a diservice. Based on their assurances that it was absolutely pristine I drove 16 hours and paid top dollar. Even the cosmetic and obvious defects that were their wouldn't budge the guy $500 from where we arrived before I drove out.

The engine light came on before I was off his street and the roof leaked, both of which I've battled a half dozen times to get them right. I got a new turbo in Indiana which really seems to have fixed the engine light problem and well I hate to say it (knock on wood) but I think the roof is no longer leaking thanks to Panion and Scalf77s help.

It was clear the owner knew about both issues and there were a dozen more things I've found that were just like, "Wha?" as in what the **** was this guy thinking? He also outright lied about ****, like claiming to have replaced both the fuel filters- well just before leaving for Colorado last month I took it to a good diesel place in Tucson and had them do both fuel filters. They'd never been touched, of course but having seen everything else I wasn't suprised.

I think that I've finally gotten to problems that are new and mine, and not inherited. It's pretty bad that I'm happy when something breaks and there is no evidence under the break that the old owner monkeyed with it.

And sure I expect all these things buying used- but not at the level I paid and not for a <2 year old high end specialty vehicle.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote