Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to fun2fly
Trip to Arizona

I am planning to make a 4 day trip to either the Grand Canyon or Sedona. Any particular sites you guys recommend that have personally experience in these two locations?

Lancair Legacy (building)
fun2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #2

There is a great campsite above Sedona on the Schnebly Hill Road. The road is in Massey-Wilson's Arizona book but you don't need a guide book...the road should be on the AAA map. After you leave Sedona on the Schnebly Hill Road, you'll climb up along Bear Wallow Canyon to a view area/pullout on the left at the top of the grade. Directly across the road from the view area is a dirt road "protected" by a pile of dirt. We climbed over the dirt (4WD clearance was needed as I recall) and camped right on the edge of the canyon, looking down toward Sedona (this was back in 2001). Great views, especially while sitting in our lounge chairs having a cocktail!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
I like to get away from it all and anywhere on the north side is good, long flat dirt road and nice places to camp. The canyon is wide open, no rails fences, people, buildings, and nice trails. Just the wide open space of the canyon. If I knew how, I’d post some pictures. The name is spelled a bit different depending on where you see it, Toroweep, Tuwep etc.

Check it out!........have fun.

CJ
Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
heh! The first line of the last message got lost

North rim of the canyon. There is no place like Toroweep. IMHO of course.

Now the prior message should make sense.

CJ
Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #5

I second that about the Schnebly Hill Road. I was there in September and it is very easy driving, all 2WD. But I did not go up the hill to see the camp area where YVRR is speaking of. Note that there are alot of Pink Jeep Tour vehicles in the daytime. Their passengers all loved seeing my SMB coming up the road. Two of the drivers had me pull over so they could ask about the van. It looks like a great place to camp. I took this from Sedona to Highway 17 (about an hour and half with stops)

Since I did not know about camping there, I stayed in a great campground on the way to Sedona from Flagstaff. I think it was Pine Flat. See this linkhttp://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec...lat-camp.shtml Very pretty area. This is a regular campground with pit toilets and picnic tables. It is off Highway 89 coming from Flagstaff.

take lots of photos.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #6

View from Schnebly Hill Road

I was there last week. (Unfortunately not in my SMB. http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=) The views are spectacular! Lots of traffic on the lower part of the road. Tons of traffic in town.

There are a number of nice undeveloped campsites in the National Forest off Schnebly closer to Hwy. 17 once you get out of the Canyon.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to fun2fly
Thanks so much for all of your comments. I'll definitely check out these site. I'll post some pics after the trip.
Lancair Legacy (building)
fun2fly is offline   Reply With Quote