Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Van bear safety in Grizzly territory?

I camp in grizzly and black bear country all the time in the Tetons and Yellowstone and the surrounding areas. Like most have said, keep a clean camp. Make sure the trash is picked up and the food is either in a bear box or in the fridge in the SMB. Dry, sealed food I believe is OK in the pantry.

Bear spray is the best deterrent I believe and should always be carried. A hand gun can be good, too, but your aim better be accurate and be prepared to shoot multiple times or you'll just make them mad. I would only shoot as a last resort.

I wouldn't worry about sleeping in the SMB and having bear issues. If one should happen to get too close or try to get at something, just honk the horn and it'll most likely run in the opposite direction.

If you are hiking, it's best to do it in groups. The number of attacks on single hikers is much larger than on two or more people. Almost non-existent with groups of four or more. Make noise and immediately leave an area if you come across a dead animal.

I'll be backpacking late next week in the Absaroka's, just outside of the Northeast entrance to Yellowstone. Grizzly country for sure. We will all be carrying bear spray only, but there will also be seven of us. We'll hang our food and trash and keep a clean camp. Should be no issues. If all else fails, run faster than the other guy!

Mike

Old 07-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #12

Some bears (Yosemite is a good example) are used to humans and recognize when food might be in a vehicle, and they can/will break in to get the food.

In other areas (Alaska, more remote places) grizzlies attacks are rare. A statistic from an Alaska park: More people have been killed by dogs in Alaska in the last 50 years than have been killed by bears in the history of Alaska.

Grizzlies attack in specific conditions:

- You get between a mother and her cub

- You get too close to the bear's food supply

- You smell like food to a hungry bear

- You trigger the chase reflex (you move too fast and he will chase you to find out why you are running)

Near Yellowstone, I would worry much more about the unpredictable Bison. And I would worry more about less predictable black bears.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

All good advice. I also prepare for the bear that has been messed with by something or somebody as well. Saw a guy take a shot at a bear with a .25 once. I asked if he was trying to hit the bear or just make noise to scare it. He said he was trying to hit it What a dumbass. Told him if I catch him trying that again I'd shoot him. Thankfully they got the message and left out. All I needed was a bear on the rampage coming after others around the area. You never know what stupid people will do. I use Yeti coolers as bear proof storage at times but they need to be pad locked closed and tied to a tree with a cable.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
eat people, unlike grizzlies, so they should be treated with utmost respect.
Both types will attack people. There just was a grizzly death in Canada (oil field worker coming out of a porta potty) . . . .
Should have said "they should be treated with utmost respect, too." 'cuz I certainly didn't mean grizzlies don't attack people. My point is that people forget the black bear is also lethal and unlike grizzlies, who tend to be territorial in their attacks, will prey on humans.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #15

I have heard that socialized bears have learned to recognize the colorful packaging of some foods (such as a potato chip bag on your dashboard) and will tear open a car to get to it. Also, be more careful if you have kids. They are little crumb factories. It's my biggest concern since I usually camp with two. You have to watch what they're dropping. That said, I would just be mindful of the country you'll be in. I never carry a gun, but I do carry bear spray even on short hikes/walks in bear country and we just try to be smart.
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I have heard that socialized bears have learned to recognize the colorful packaging of some foods
That is very true in Yosemite. I think they even know the brand and model of the ice chest they see. Best to keep it covered with something. Smarter than your average bear

Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #17

Are bears attracted to porta potty smells? I have read that you are supposed to hang any waste TP you are packing out when backpacking.
9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

I think it's more that they are drawn to the perfumes and what not that are used in some products.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #19

My wife and I have camped in Grizzly country more times than I can count in both tents and the back of our truck. The key to never seeing a grizzly too close is never cook anything at your campsite (use picnic areas and cook outside) don't cook things whose smell lingers like bacon, use the bear proof trash cans for all trash immediately. Disguise anything a bear could see through a window that could be mistaken for a cooler (I had a bear tear apart a lantern case). Be even more careful with feminine hygiene products than you are with food. A bear will also be attracted to anything in your shower kit that has an odor to it.

That being said, don't freak out, just be careful and use common sense. Checking at ranger stations / visitor centers for bear activity areas as well as more suggestions than I mentioned would also be a good idea.
TallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #20

Thanks everyone for your good advice. We were in "Be Bear Aware" country for 3 weeks and not only did not have any problems with bears, but the only one we saw was pointed out by a guy on a bicycle in Glacier. We didn't even see bear sign, which we see at home all the time. We kept our trash in the trasharoo inside an airtight-screw top food container, carried bear spray, made noise and looked around when walking or fishing. We did hear wolves and see a pack hunting an elk, but that's another story. I'm sure Viejo will tell it in the trip report. Very exciting! thanks again and have a good summer!
littleboomer is offline   Reply With Quote