Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

Van Building Gone WRONG

Van Building Gone wrong

8 weeks, $15,000.00 Deposit

I received some wiring and a partial floor, and receive an accountable statement $16,62190 and an Invoice for $8150.00 for cabinets...

60 Plus hours to do a partial floor and some pre wiring, How long do you think it should have taken ?

This “Van Build” was by Allan Tone of Sprinter Engineering, North Salt Lake , Utah

This video is like Tiger King, you want to stop watching, since it is so long, but you have to know what happens.

https://youtu.be/y_pzz12IxfM

Its worth watching

https://youtu.be/y_pzz12IxfM

People are asking why only $25 K for a van build, two reasons, our design was super simple and We had 19 Shows / Expos planned this summer and because we have a pretty decent internet presence, I was going to promote his business
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 8.36.42 AM.jpg  

Utah
OverlandGearGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #2

Sorry to see that. Pretty amazing somebody would even try to pull that, considering the reputation of nearly all van builders is established on social media.

I went through a very similar problem back in 2009, with the body shop I chose to repair and repaint my van. After burning through the deposit quickly, and asking for more "progress payments" with very little appreciable work (after my 2nd one of those, it was pretty clear I was fronting their payroll at that point), I ended up making final payments with my credit card so I could pick up the van, then promptly disputed all but one payment with my credit card company. Capital One fully backed me, and refunded all my disputed payments. I was worried they'd try doing a mechanic's lien or call for a repo (either would have been illegal, but shady shops are shady), and that's why I installed a decent alarm system. Lastly, I still had all the work completed, and even chose another franchise within the same corporate brand, so nobody could accuse me of simple buyer's remorse.

So.... Hopefully you've made some of these payments with your credit card? If so, get them involved asap, and start sending them certified letters with all your documentation.

That all said... He strikes me as company who has found himself in a sudden cash-crunch. This isn't an excuse, but that's my take. It's unfortunate he wasn't able to be more straightforward. He reminds me of EVERY SINGLE SALES GUY I've had to deal with over the years, mostly renting heavy equipment. There's always an excuse for everything... It's almost like sales people have convinced themselves to stretch the truth for so long, their brain doesn't work any other way anymore.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Rob, bugger about your experience so far. Was there a timeline given or final budget discussed when you guys came to a final decision on the buildout? I’m sure that the current situation we’re all dealing with will undoubtedly delay things further.
Between initial sticker shock, missed deadlines, budget overages and missing or changed design aspects without consult, your experience unfortunately isn’t unique.
But.... depending on your electrical wiring diagram, for the work that has been done, yes that seems more than a bit on the high side.
Not that I’m looking to bash, but I’m curious what up fitter you’re working with, I can’t load the video in my current location.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #4

Thank you

it is all very unfortunate

This “Van Build” was by Allan Tone of Sprinter Engineering, North Salt Lake , Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Rob, bugger about your experience so far. Was there a timeline given or final budget discussed when you guys came to a final decision on the buildout? I’m sure that the current situation we’re all dealing with will undoubtedly delay things further.
Between initial sticker shock, missed deadlines, budget overages and missing or changed design aspects without consult, your experience unfortunately isn’t unique.
But.... depending on your electrical wiring diagram, for the work that has been done, yes that seems more than a bit on the high side.
Not that I’m looking to bash, but I’m curious what up fitter you’re working with, I can’t load the video in my current location.

Utah
Old 04-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #5

Thank you

I was not as fortunate, I paid by check, I am glad you got some of your money back, but this type of behavior is so uncalled for.

Be Adult, Be Professional, and have some Intedrity

Right, and excuse for everything, we are doing a part 2 and you would not believe the lies and excuses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post

Sorry to see that. Pretty amazing somebody would even try to pull that, considering the reputation of nearly all van builders is established on social media.

I went through a very similar problem back in 2009, with the body shop I chose to repair and repaint my van. After burning through the deposit quickly, and asking for more "progress payments" with very little appreciable work (after my 2nd one of those, it was pretty clear I was fronting their payroll at that point), I ended up making final payments with my credit card so I could pick up the van, then promptly disputed all but one payment with my credit card company. Capital One fully backed me, and refunded all my disputed payments. I was worried they'd try doing a mechanic's lien or call for a repo (either would have been illegal, but shady shops are shady), and that's why I installed a decent alarm system. Lastly, I still had all the work completed, and even chose another franchise within the same corporate brand, so nobody could accuse me of simple buyer's remorse.

So.... Hopefully you've made some of these payments with your credit card? If so, get them involved asap, and start sending them certified letters with all your documentation.

That all said... He strikes me as company who has found himself in a sudden cash-crunch. This isn't an excuse, but that's my take. It's unfortunate he wasn't able to be more straightforward. He reminds me of EVERY SINGLE SALES GUY I've had to deal with over the years, mostly renting heavy equipment. There's always an excuse for everything... It's almost like sales people have convinced themselves to stretch the truth for so long, their brain doesn't work any other way anymore.

Utah
Old 04-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #6

Utah
Old 04-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandGearGuy View Post

This confirms Sprinter Engineerings lack of ethics. He blatantly copied a well respected design of swivel seats and justified it Because the original designer did not patent it.
Nickbokhoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:43 AM   #8

Garage
I know here on the east coast how we would handle a guy like Allen but seeing how your in Utah, get a couple of good ol boys to pay him a visit.....
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #9

Garage
WOW! Sorry about your experience.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Well, unfortunately you’re probably not going to see that $15K back or the resulting work that was supposed to be covered by it.....so
Either have a frank chat with the owner about what’s going on and the results you expected for that kind of coin, and move forward with them based on the fact that they won’t see another dime until you see results.
Or.....
Cut your losses if they are unwilling/unable to complete your build under whatever agreement you guys come up with, document and spread the word about your experiences with them, and take it somewhere else to finish the build. Then enjoy the hell out of it.....all the while still posting and bashing the guys that could have had all the glory of finishing your build.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
van build, van conversion