Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

Vehicle transport

I know that some of you have bought vehicles and had them transported across the US for various reasons. My delightful wife is working on buying a couple of ambulances to send to Liberia to help with the ebola outbreak there. She has found a couple here in Oregon and wants to ship them to the east coast so that they can be shipped to Liberia. She is looking for the name and contact information of reliable shippers. Please send me the contact information for any shippers you have used in the past and were happy with.

Thanks.

Larrie

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #2

Re: Vehicle transport

We used these guys to ship 2 cars. They apparently will ship just about anything. http://www.tnt-inc.com

Very professional, not clowns that shove your vehicle off to the lowest bidder with a truck.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Vehicle transport

"Very professional, not clowns that shove your vehicle off to the lowest bidder with a truck."
Unlike the guys that shipped Jage's rig and used it to tow the transporter....it's a sore subject, sorry to bring it up, but just as a reference to be careful, I used Uship to get a new car out here I bought from jersey, worked out and price was pretty good, but there are lots of resellers or brokers on there as well that hire out to who knows who.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #4

Re: Vehicle transport

I have sub-contracted for TNT many times while I was with Bob's. They use a "hub" approach like the airlines, so local tow companies do the pick up and delivery (flatbeds only), while traditional auto carriers do the long-hauls from their "hubs". Each hand-off requires a detailed inspection which has to be signed at the pick-up and drop-off by the customer, to ensure and damage caused is taken care off. Of course, there is always the possibility of damage, but TNT does not go by the low-bidder approach, and they don't low-ball their providers (nobody is getting rich either though).

I'm sure there are other good transport companies, but TNT is the one I'm most familiar with. They generally service corporate accounts however, so I doubt they are anywhere near the lowest cost.

When I had my van shipped from LA (not using TNT... it was whoever Enterprise contracts with) I had to meet the truck on Highway 34 at 2am, because he would have been overweight on the Van Buren bridge. Luckily it made it over the bridge. Their policy was to empty all fuel tanks for transport, so the gas gauge didn't even flinch from rock bottom when we started it up. Wasn't a big deal, but that's an example of the extra hassle you can expect from the cheaper outfits.