Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #1

Ways to save money

I guess we could all stand to save a little money here and there. This thread will allow us to post ways we save money that may not be obvious to all. The more money we save, the more we have to spend on our SMBs.

I'll start off with two tips:

1st. How to keep lettuce for weeks. Keep it dry! I always wrap my lettuce in paper towels to soak up moisture and then in a plastic bag. It's not necessary to refrigerate it. In the heat of summer we keep it in a cooler, but not in the refrig.

2nd. Make razor blades last and last. I used to change blades every week or so. Then I discovered what 'dulls' blades. It isn't the beard I'm shaving. No human hair is harder than steel. What is harder than steel is dust and dirt on the face. Dust and dirt are really finely ground rock, and that will dull any blade. It is necessary to wash thoroughly with soap and water before shaving. After washing my face, I shave with the soap still on my face. The soap will float the dirt and prevent it from damaging the blade. Then you must rinse the blade and dry it. I dry it with my towel, and then blow any remaining water from between the blades. If you don't completely dry the blade, any water left will dry and leave behind minerals that will form crystals. Looking under high magnification, those water based crystals will be bigger than the finely honed blade and will run at various angles. Then the crystals will cut your face instead of the blade cutting the whiskers. And you will think the blade is dull. Taking care of the blade this way lets me change the blade on the first of the year, although sometimes I forget and go two or three years on the same blade.

Let's hear your ideas.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #2

Re: Ways to save money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
2nd. Make razor blades last and last. I used to change blades every week or so. Then I discovered what 'dulls' blades. It isn't the beard I'm shaving. No human hair is harder than steel. What is harder than steel is dust and dirt on the face. Dust and dirt are really finely ground rock, and that will dull any blade. It is necessary to wash thoroughly with soap and water before shaving. After washing my face, I shave with the soap still on my face. The soap will float the dirt and prevent it from damaging the blade. Then you must rinse the blade and dry it. I dry it with my towel, and then blow any remaining water from between the blades. If you don't completely dry the blade, any water left will dry and leave behind minerals that will form crystals. Looking under high magnification, those water based crystals will be bigger than the finely honed blade and will run at various angles. Then the crystals will cut your face instead of the blade cutting the whiskers. And you will think the blade is dull. Taking care of the blade this way lets me change the blade on the first of the year, although sometimes I forget and go two or three years on the same blade.
Let's hear your ideas.

Mike
a YEAR on one blade???
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
a YEAR on one blade???
YES!

If you eliminate the cause of dulling, and prevent buildup on the blade then why do you ever need to change it?

Answer: To keep money flowing into the razor companies tills!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #4

I've had the same razor for so long I can't remember when I last bought blades. Or where they are, frankly.

I also cut my own hair and have for many years.

Actually I'm currently working on a website with a friend that will be a forum for living without the grocery store. He grows his own corn, potatoes and many other foods, has refurbished a meat saw and does everything down to making his own lunchmeat from hogs and basically wanted to create a forum for sharing tips and recipes and other money saving ideas.

It's not quite on topic, and we're still working on the design but feel free to check it out: http://www.wildbounty.net
Attached Thumbnails
beard2.jpg  
Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #5

Here's another from my grandmother: wash out your ziplock bags. Just wash them in the sink and put them in a dish strainer to dry. She uses the same ziplocks for months if not longer.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 AM   #6

Rechargeable Batteries / Re: Ways to save money

I've been using rechargeable NiMH AA and AAA batteries (and some 9V too) since 2000. Saves a bit of money, they work better, last longer, and I've easily gotten well over 500 charges before upgrading to the latest highest capacity ones (at which point I give my older ones away).

Then, I make sure everything I own runs on them. Headlamp? AAs. GPS? AAs. Digital camera? AAs. Cell phone recharger? AAs. Water purifier (Steripen; it rocks): AAs. Electric razor? AAs (I removed the battery from a dead electric razor and rewired it for AAs). Extra stick-on LED lights in the van? AAAs. FRS walkie talkies for skiing? AAs. Just need to convert my electric toothbrush and I'm complete!
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Let's hear your ideas.

Mike
a YEAR on one blade???

come on,POR FAVOR....

I tried this, i use Gillette 3
i get 3-4 good shaves from a blade

I am on WEEK THREE with the same freaking blade

That includes two Mondays witha two day weekend growth...
Unbeleevialbe!!

thanx buddy
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #8

Thats funny but I never knew why I could use my blades for months. I shave in the shower and use bar soap.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #9

Grow a beard....