Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #11

Re: Welder

boywonder: I think you are precise enough and already have an aluminum capable lathe that you should really consider getting into tig rather than mig.

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
....perhaps I should try a wire feed MIG welder at some point.....
You need to buy 20 sticks and weld 1000 scraps together until you're out. Repeat as necessary.

A MIG is easier but it's no substitute for practice. Practice which I swear I'm going to do just as soon as I get a plug set up for my welder... do as I say, not as I do in any case!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage

You need to buy 20 sticks and weld 1000 scraps together until you're out. Repeat as necessary.

A MIG is easier but it's no substitute for practice. Practice which I swear I'm going to do just as soon as I get a plug set up for my welder... do as I say, not as I do in any case!
My welder came with about 1000 sticks.....I've probably burned up 100 sticks welding my deck railing, and I still suck!

I may be using it to weld up my support structure for the propane tank mount......I'll snap a few close ups of my bird-turd weld beads.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #14

Welding is kinda like piano...anyone can bang away, but quality, and especially high quality, requires a lot of practice and the ability to judge what's good and what's not.

You can't learn it on your own if you intend to weld anything important since a noob often can't discern from a good weld and a dangerous one. And there's proper prep, the effect on the heat on the base metal and how that can lead to structural failure, and so on.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but I tried self-taught and was sorta shocked when I began to learn what I didn't know could hurt me.

Fortunately there are classes all over the place. At least get the basics, or have someone who is good who can judge your work. It's one of those things where you more you learn the more you learn that there is more to learn...you know. I'm surrounded by guys who weld in refinery tanks, and on pipelines fulla natural gas, and way underwater, and on submarines. You hear some amazing stories at local AWS meetings. It's worth checking out cuz it's a wonderful thing to do.

And don't forget safety. I'd also recommend a respirator, especially if you are using flux core, which someone mentioned, or stick. And be careful of what you weld; coatings, paint, cadmium, oh my. We've had some unfortunate incidents with Burners messing with scrap for sculptures, so start with metal that you know is safe.

And budget for other metalworking equipment. A grinder at a minimum cuz you'll need it for prep. And some good fire extinguishers. And maybe cutting equipment (I have oxy/acetylene but it scares the crap outta me to have that around; think I'd spend the extra $$ these days for a plasma cutter.

I use a Millermatic 211 (120/230v), and did the wire to a dryer outlet thing as well; I can weld right outside the laundry room. I have a spool gun for aluminum. I've found that with that machine, however, and a very good extension cord I can get most everything done with 120v.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #15

Rob: That's exactly the way that I look at it as well..........I can weld stuff that I'm not worried about falling off on the freeway.

The comment about changing the base metal is an important one. I designed and built a couple of custom full suspension mountain bikes about 24 years ago when I was racing; the tubing was seamless 6061-T6. I had a buddy (now deceased-para sailing accident) who was a very talented bicycle welder weld them up. After welding, they went out for re-heat treatment and straightening, otherwise they'd be good for about 5 rides before the tubing would crack adjacent to the welds.

Same for some steels, I used to weld repair motorcycle frames only to have them crack right next to the welds, over an over......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #16

rob_gendreau: Yup, to everything you said. However, I have found that I learn best first by my trial and error and then by education. So that is why I suggested the weldingtipsandtricks.com videos. Education is lost on me without some watching, reading and practice first. But we all learn differently.

To add to the list, fumes from welding on galvanized metal can kill.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #17

E350 - those videos are great. I am just learning with a Millermatic 200. I made sure our house insurance has been paid.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #18

Real good advise. If I am going to pursue welding I will be taking at the very least some base classes and have a pro review my welds. I picked up two other projects as well as building this current boat. I now have the boat to finish building, a trailer to build up and a Wrangler to clean up. As well, the wife just yesterday says, "Before you get started on fixing up the Wrangler would you please finish with the upgrades to the SMB." I do love my wife! Just got in new Bushwackers for the SMB, ordering a set of wheels Procomp 5001 and probably going to do Raptor liner on the belly. Visually should be a real nice change.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote