Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #11

Re: Well, I Swallowed the Bitter Pill. Adios Amigos.

Well, when an opportunity presents itself, quick action is required. Was going with a pop up truck camper. Then I read about a couple that traveled extensively in S. America with a Bigfoot camper mounted on a large flat bed truck (a truck, not a pickup). So I researched Bigfoot Campers and discoverd I liked their shell building process (fiberglas clam shell, just like a boat). Discovered they went belly up with the credit crunch. Did a CL search and discovered a new listing for a new 2008 Bigfoot 2500 series camper at a pit of business RV dealer (mfr gone so can't sell it back to Bigfoot). Long story longer, just made a 2100 mile round trip in record cold temps to Casper, WY. I'm now the proud owner of a very, very large Bigfoot camper (dry bath). With the AC on the roof, this bastard is so tall I couldn't get it into a car wash. Its so tall, I can't get it into my shop. Haven't measured yet, but looks to be near 12' from the ground to the top of the AC. Just a quick list, 40 pounds of propane, 30k btu furnace, 6CU fridge, 2.5 KW genny (propane), a big duo therm (I think that's the name) AC unit, double sink, 3 burner range/over, microwave, queen bed, etc, etc. Not nearly a nimble a camper as the SMB, but we'll manage.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #12

Editing is for whimps. Damn BlackBerry. Should have said "out of business" RV dealer. The 12' guess is when mounted on my pickup.
Here's the CL listing, if wondering what it looks like. http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/1532174551.html
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Editing is for whimps. Damn BlackBerry. Should have said "out of business" RV dealer. The 12' guess is when mounted on my pickup.
Here's the CL listing, if wondering what it looks like. http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/1532174551.html
Posting has been deleted. Guess you'll have to take and post some pics of your own.

Congrats on the new rig!

Herb
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
Site Team

Didn't want to edit my last post, so here's a new one.

According to this site, you can buy, run, and operate Bigfoot if you're looking for a career change. It would fit right in, in Oregon....

http://www.bigfootrv.com/

Herb
Old 01-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #15

And a shot of my pickup's mirror as I crossed the Conti Divide (glad I put anti-gel in my tank). yea, that's a negative in front of the "32".
Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage

That's a sweet looking camper. Will that gen run the AC?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #17

I sure hope so. I better check the AC's needs. That would chap my hide if it couldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
That's a sweet looking camper. Will that gen run the AC?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
Site Team

Hey, is that a Norcold I see?

Herb
Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #19

Its a Dom. The quality of the Dom as compared to Virtrifrigo, well, let's just say I hope Virt makes a 6CF 3 way. Stupid plastic tabs to lock the doors closed. They'll fail within a few miles in Baja. Stupid. Just stupid. If I didn't need to dump $ into the Chev right now (Cognito leveling kit and Transferflow), I'd order a Virt now.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #20

You guys don't understand, this thing is freak'n huge. I dunno, its a lot bigger than I imagined. Having some seller's and buyer's remorse. Can't go back now. We'll see how this combo works in Baja in March. I've got figure out something with those rear jacks. I can easily see me ripping them off in Baja. Hell, I can see me ripping them off on a speed bump in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Perhaps I'll just remove them and store them in the seemingly unlimited storage this thing possesses when in Baja. Look how it dwarfs our otherwise very large pickup (for Herb, Keep the dwarf clear....So they won't trod upon it.).

One thing that is really nice though is its a true four season camper. Those Canadian builders made sure of that. 30k BTU furnace heats it up pronto. Yea, I slept in it last night. My first apartment was smaller than this.