Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #61

Re: What do you do for work/living?

I'm a retired mechanical engineer. I designed those ink jet cartridges that everyone said were too expensive. Now keeping busy with building furniture, metal sculptures and upgrades to our SMB.

charlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #62

Garage

I have several la-z-boy stores so I guess I sell ass foam. I also have software company that uses cameras to count people and help track sales activity. Dad to 2 kids 18 and 16. I have been restoring old bmw cars the last few years and doing mentorship work with my church. My homebuilt helps me backcountry ski and paddleboard with family and friends. I wish I was an engineer. The closest I get is being called McGyver. Also brew bio for my van and 2 vw tdis.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #63

Gosh, I feel like an unmotivated, lazy SOB after reading some of those...

Or maybe having three kids 5 or under just sucks the energy out of a person? Please say it comes back!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #64

What do you do for work/living?

Was having this discussion with Tapatio today. Either everyone is an engineer or of all the SMBers they are the only ones that post on this forum
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #65
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by b250ramvan
Have been retired from TranWorld Airlines, since 1991,
after 40 Yrs.
As an Automatic Test Equipment Engineer for the
Autopilot Systems.
Got my Electronics Education in the Navy.
Have been camping for 55 yrs.
We have a 1990 Dodge Sportsmoble.
OK I'm doing the math and Wow Campin for 55 years. I'd like to see some of those pictures.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #66

It is good to hear about how others spend their time. I spend time with the family and escape to the hills as much as possible. I was in the military until some things went "crack" and "boom" near me in Iraq in 2003. Now I am retired and run an outdoor adventure non profit.

For what its worth I am living the (my) dream!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpaDowna
It is good to hear about how others spend their time. I spend time with the family and escape to the hills as much as possible. I was in the military until some things went "crack" and "boom" near me in Iraq in 2003. Now I am retired and run an outdoor adventure non profit.

For what its worth I am living the (my) dream!
Dude, you're avatar is awesome!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #68

Thanks Scotty!

That was on top of the Grand Teton 10 years to the day, at the very minute that the south tower came down. Sept 11, 2011. I went up helping a bunch of broken vets make it to the top. It meant a lot to me. And makes me proud to be alive!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpaDowna
Thanks Scotty!

That was on top of the Grand Teton 10 years to the day, at the very minute that the south tower came down. Sept 11, 2011. I went up helping a bunch of broken vets make it to the top. It meant a lot to me. And makes me proud to be alive!

Really cool, the story makes it even better! You should post that story about your avatar in Campfire or something so everyone will know. That's really cool.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #70

For a living I'm a Dad of 3. I build custom steel bicycles in my basement shop - which started out just as a hobby but has gotten totally out of hand (according to the wife). I ride my bikes, work on the trails and camp with the family. We like to paddle and row and spend time at the beach and in the woods.

For work, I'm an Engineer that oversees all of the environmental air/water/waste compliance and remediation programs at 4 Connecticut electic generating stations. Always interesting explaining WTF were they thinking 60 years ago when they did not dispose of wastes as we've come to expect as common practice nowadays.

BTW, I started lurking here when I was converting a transit bus to a camper - the SMB campers were more in line with my thinking/needs than the rolling homes on skoolies or bus conversions.com. But, as you can imagine, I began to think I needed to upgrade our non-camping travel vehicle from a Vanagon to an E350. And that is what we've done: a couple of months ago we found a really sweet E350 Quigley EB...now the VW is for sale!

Good Day - Bob
Belltownbikes is offline   Reply With Quote