Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #11

What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
looks like a chinook
Hey dude, watch those racial epithets.

Z

Now that was hilarious! Thanks, I needed a good laugh today. The kids are wondering what is cracking me up so bad and I can't easily explain it!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #12

Re: What is it?

Looks like a Dodge. Very cool regardless of what color the shag is.
My buddy has a chevy just like it on which he installed the 4x4 himself.
Old motors (even refreshed) need low gears and go up hills slow!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #13

Speaking of ancient equipment, here is an old 4x4 in my neighborhood in Wenatchee Wa. Up in the hills.
Looks to be a local driver although I haven't seen it on the road.
I don't know my old vehicles well enough to identify, but it looks like a milk wagon or such with 4x4 added. Has a winch too.
If I had it and about 50K it could be bada$$. Could you imagine a plush interior in this thing?
Up In Smoke!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #14

maxacceleration - That ancient equipment is a 1942 or 1946 Chev. All 1943-1945 production was for the military and when civilian production resumed in '46 they did so using the '42 body parts.

I've never seen that box truck style before but I had a '46 PU with the same grill and fenders. Of all the vehicles I've owned that was my favorite - including the SMB. 45mph cruising speed, cruse control via a dish throttle, AC via a crank out front windshield, foot operated starter next to the gas peddle. Safety features included metal dash, no seat belts, and gas tank inside the cab behind the seat. Oh, and don't forget the single windshield wiper powered by manifold vacuum; hit the gas or climb a hill and it stopped working.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
It's one of these: http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t285 ... 0-transvan

Love the stained "glass"!

Z
I bet you meant to say "stained plastic"!

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #16

When I was 16 (1967) my Dad bought me a 1939 Chevy Master 85 2 door sedan to keep me busy. 85 was the horsepower but this one did not have the original engine in it. Anyway; it had the vacuum windshield wipers and floor starter previously mentioned and a straight axle with king pins. 1939 was the year the headlights migrated from the radiator cowl to the fender but the grill was quite different that that '42. I tinkered with it more than I drove it; new wiring harness, rebuilt the engine in high school auto mechanics, body work, interior & glass and it was great fun. When I got drafted I sold it to my neighbor and shortly after that it was destroyed in the 1972 Rapid City South Dakota flood. I saw it rolled up in a crumpled ball of metal when I came home on leave where the receding waters had left it. The bright orange axles where a dead give away. What a good but sad memory that 42 wagon brought back. The sedan wouldn't have made a good camper but if a 1939 panel van came my way now I might be really tempted to make it a project. Woo Hoo!
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote