Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #11

Re: What was a mistake or waste of $$$ on your van?

I'd better get back on topic.
For our van, the mistakes were ommissions by the previous owner when he ordered it.

1. Not having the top painted to match the body.
2. No hot plate or other water heater.
3. Keeping the orig spare (its a two-spare rig), so no under floor storage.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #12

Interesting that Jeff you don't like the 17" rims. I stayed with stock, and thus couldn't upgrade the brakes. And now I'm scared about my brakes half the time...

But back to money wasted:

1. Bought ethefoam for window inserts before finding out about Reflectix/Arctic shades. (few hundred $ wasted)

2. Paying for the shower wand for the sink. It's a no-go with a flatplate; much better to go with a solar shower bag and fill it.

3. Not having some things done correctly the first time, like flatplate inside, water tank and water lines off the floor so they don't freeze, and damn if I didn't go watch them insulate to make sure it was done correctly. I suppose that's not something I specifically paid for (other than as part of an $80k van). I could add the Amsoil installed backwards to the list too... and what I was told the Amsoil system would do for me has been downgraded several times. I THINK I'm glad I have it. I think.

4. Am still having second thoughts about the Aluminess rear bumper. Sure, it's cool, but that's a lot of money just to hang my tire off the back.

5. Buying the van new in the first place. Seriously. I hemmed and hawed about a used one on the list, but it had a propane system and I didn't like the interior color. However, I could have done a lot of stuff with an extra $15k, and with a 7.3 I wouldn't have been as scared about the engine as I am with the 6.0. Also wouldn't be so damn fanatical about not scratching it. It's vehicle that's meant to be used. Am glad I own it, but I think if I were to go back in time, I'd have gone used.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #13

I'm an experiential learner (I screw thing up a lot)....and don't mind laughing at my own mistakes. With that said, After 3 years of looking, I bought a used SMB a couple of weeks ago and drove it 1200 miles home. The exterior is in excellent condition. Lots of shiny clear coat. Seems to have spent a lot of time in the garage.

Off white with 3 stripes around the middle, about 12 inches wide total, light blue, light brown, light blue.

I didn't like the stripes. A little dated looking for me. Lots of research. Hmmmm....a heat gun will take those right off. No luck.

Ok. Easy off oven cleaner will take those right off.....not really.

How about a 3M Stripe Eraser....ouch!.

End result, about 1/2 of the stripes are removed from the left rear door, in mangy patches. Looks like hell.

Off to a body shop to put either put it back the way it was or finish removing the stripe. Well, removing not an option, they are painted on. I would need to repaint the whole van. Just to fix the door back to original condition? $2400.

I think a nice black, no skid surface will look good there. I'll cover it with the spare tire and mount I just ordered this morning.....

Lesson learned. Anybody got a ballpark figure on repainting the whole van?

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

I sprayed side wall cleaner on a brand new set of rims and tires once and noticed the over spray made the rims look Hazed out. Sprayed a little more and it got worse and worse and worse. Then I read the instructions on the bottle "DON"T GET ON ALUMINUM RIMS". As I tried to rub the rims out I started to get warm but soon I was sweating bullits even though it was freezing outside. Not long after that I backed up the rig and watched my brand new garage doors buckle. Don't put the garbage can behind the rig. Sometimes it's better to laugh. Maybe now you can talk the wife into painting the van to the color of your choice...uh or maybe her choice

No way to re-stripe or maybe a two tone job? Line-X?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #15

The privacy curtains- Never have used them, and use a sun shade in the windshield instead.

Pirelli Scorpions - Wore out really fast, and were helpless in the mud and snow, even though they say mud & snow on them. I replaced them with the Toyo Open Country MT's and am much happier.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #16

Amsoil system!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #17

1. I've had second thoughts about the propane furnace. It seems like overkill. I had a small wall-mounted catylic heater in my previous motorhome that gave out a low, even heat. Better way to go.

2. The large fresh water tank was a waste of $$$. If you don't cook much and don't have a flush toilet or a shower, you aren't going to use much water......

3. Would have gotten the power hoist for the penthouse top.

4. Would have gotten another solar panel. Can't afford now & possibly don't need.

5. That's It. I LUV MY SMB!!!!!
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #18

I LOVE my big water tank. Empty it often. And I don't even have a sink- just an outside shower!

I think my big waste of money was the air compressor. It comes in quite handy when you need it, but on hindsight, I don't think I'll be needing it all that much.

After that, probably the solid surface countertop. It didn't come out as expected.

The rest is just right.
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #19

Biggest mistake 1: trying to park the van beside the house. I had to drive through a double gate with only a couple of inches of clearance on either side. I found out that I am not a good enough driver to do it.

Biggest mistake 2: Parking under a persimmon tree.

Dave
dkrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #20

Sat radio! Sat radio has gotten ridiculously expensive. When my subscriptions expire next year, we're bagging it and going strictly MP3. Could buy 20 songs a month and still come out ahead (and not have to listen to "Madison" talk about her, well, nevermind). I just want to hear music without some dipshit talking over the tunes.