Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #11

I think that 2006 LT43 is probably a 6.0L, so that would hurt the value a bit also.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #12

Garage
meh. I was just commenting to my wife how everything we do here in the States end up being bigger and more expensive. I guess that's how things go. I remember the Experimental Aircraft Association in the 1970's when people built basic airplanes in their garage. They were affordable weekend fun planes costing less than $5,000 to build. By the 21st Century, they became pressurized carbon fiber go-fast planes worth $200,000+.

In the end, it depends on your mission profile. Many of the earth roamer-type vehicles are only good on the open road. You might as well buy a Class A motorhome.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #13

I have often wondered where these would shine. My only thought would be some place like AK or BC where you could wander for extended periods on rough/undeveloped roads. I doubt you'd be doing many actual trails but I could be wrong. Then again, there are people that say that about SMB and 4x4 vans in general.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #14

I think these are built for the "cost is no object" crowd. There are some people that have all the money and are willing to spend it on something that "could" do a lot of things. They want real walnut cabinets and heated wood floors. Do they need them? No, but they have the same thing in their $4m house, so spending 12% of that cost on an RV is about par for the course. A lot more people live in a $300k house and spend $100k on a class A rv.

If you can sell them, might as well build them.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #15

Yeah, like others have said, they are built for the people who generally have everything and still have too much money. The only place I could think they would be worth their money would be far out areas in Canada, Middle of nowhere South America, or ship to Africa or Middle east/Russia area. Places where they may not be "roads" or where you need to self sufficient for weeks on end.

I will say I live in Seattle, so all I see is something that can't go on the trails here. I've hit way to many branches in my E350, so I can't imagine trying to navigate this around here. haha

But like /\ Gramps said. If you can sell them, build them.
DuggyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #16

Yup, I think they are up to about number 250. If you like and you can afford it, go for it. They are nice looking.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuggyFresh View Post
...The only place I could think they would be worth their money would be far out areas in Canada, Middle of nowhere South America, or ship to Africa or Middle east/Russia area. ...
On paper I agree but in some of those areas it'd good to not stand out as an overly wealthy person. One would not exactly 'blend in' with an ER.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #18

Everyone is aware that the Carbon Fiber LTI model is for the wanna-be wealthy crowd. The 1.7M dollar HD model is for those who truly deserve an Earthroamer.

https://earthroamer.com/hd/

According to the website there are three (3) HD's on the road [their choice of words] and three (3) in production.

Also, anyone else notice the description style and vocabulary used on the website is the same used by sales people pitching a product in a board room of executives. Though a minion, I have had the opportunity to attend some of those pitch meetings with the money suits and it's a different world than I'm used to.

Finally, Over the fall I've been able to travel a little in the van and I was taken back by a few interactions I've had with other van travelers. For the first time I've been met with, "cool van, can we see it" which is normal but then, I got "I've always wanted to see a real Sportsmobile, these are stupid expensive, you must be rich (with head shaking). It seems I've received this response from the recently completed home built van owner the most. So my point is this whole rich man/woman vehicle thing is relative and is an example of when I point with one finger, three other fingers are pointing back. I'm not trying to justify the Earthroamer just trying to be humble.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post

Finally, Over the fall I've been able to travel a little in the van and I was taken back by a few interactions I've had with other van travelers. For the first time I've been met with, "cool van, can we see it" which is normal but then, I got "I've always wanted to see a real Sportsmobile, these are stupid expensive, you must be rich (with head shaking). It seems I've received this response from the recently completed home built van owner the most. So my point is this whole rich man/woman vehicle thing is relative and is an example of when I point with one finger, three other fingers are pointing back. I'm not trying to justify the Earthroamer just trying to be humble.

- Eric
You beat me to it. Most people that I know think a used Sportsmobile worth $70K is a rich man's rig. So yeah, it's all relative.