Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #11

Re: Where's Gnarvan?

Glad your still around...

Enjoy your weekend...

2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
Where is Gnarvan? The person not the van. Did a Toyota forum steal him away?

I'm still here. I do have to admit I've been spending a lot of time with the FJ40 though. Haven't found a good FJ forum yet. I should though, getting information on a 40 year old Toyota is a little tougher than getting info on a 20 year old E350.

I did order a rear bumper/tire carrier/cooler setup for the FJ. I about choked when I saw it weighed 185 pounds.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessor ... 04Plus.htm
Give http://forum.ih8mud.com/ a try.

Herb
Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
Glad your still around...

Enjoy your weekend...

Heck.....I'm not going anywhere. You-all are starting to feel like family to me.

It's just been a busy no sleep kind of work week. I really need to have a chat with my boss about the 12 hour work days. To many toys and not enough time to play with them.

I am having a lot of fun trying to figure out what to do with the 40. I have just as much fun trying to figure stuff out as I do actually doing the mods.

I did have my mechanic give the 40 a quick once over that included a compression test. All cylinders are even at 175. Doesn't get much better than that.

I spent some quality time yesterday driving around topless.

Tomorrow I need to go scrub the nubs off of this

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #14

I'm trying to figure out how to resize photo's from my recent Idaho trip. This is a test. If I can get it to work I'll post a trip report, to include my most intense and scary white water experience to date.

A couple of dirtbag home builts hanging out in Idaho

Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #15

i know i havent posted lots of pictures here but i have gigabytes of photos.

im sure there are so many ways to do it differently from how i do it...and im sure our photographers here will chime in with their expertise....

whenever i take a photo, the "original" full resolution or HD or "fine" mode winds up on an archive drive thats backed up. photos that i want to retouch, crop, resize or fool around with i copy into a "scratch" folder.

ive used a number of programs to resize (resolution) and crop photos to make them easier to upload on various sites not only from a bandwidth standpoint but also viewing simplicity.

theres photoshop, paint shop pro, window picture manager, ms paint (lol yes it has come in handy) and then there are freeware programs like GIMP (dont let the name scare you). so many more.

for cropping and resizing resolution to post on forums, these and many others should suffice. as for the image size, notwithstanding any resizing or attenuation by the site being posted to, i would start with 800x600 and work down from there.

i view this site at 1680x1050 on a 17" laptop monitor so an 800 pixel wide image would be about half the screen width. the photo in this thread you posted looks really nice to me and i didnt have to scroll or anything.

then again, i have had some images in full 2560x19whatever resolution get resized automatically by the site it was posted to. facebook seems to do a decent job of this as far as i can tell. ive loaded lots of high MP images without touching them and they look good.

hope this info helps a little.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #16

I used a utility that came with my Cannon EOS 60D called EOS Utility to resize that shot down to 1350X900. All the other photos I've posted to the forum were taken with my Iphone and I'm guessing get auto resized when I post them. The Cannon images are a huge compared to the Iphone ones and the list server gags and chokes on them when I try to post them without resizing first. I took close to 1,000 images on my Idaho vacation and it could take a while to sift through the pile and resize the gems.

I think the boaters on the list will be impressed with the image of the class V hole that ate me. Luckily for me after chewing on me for over a minute it spit me out still hanging onto my boat. It would have been a VERY...VERY bad place to swim.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #17

I use a Free Batch Photo Resizer to reduce the size of the pictures I resize.
I saved it with a resolution of 800. Works fine just drag and drop.
Just an advice, make a copy of the pictures in an other folder before reducing or set that the original shall be kept.
More under:
http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Because I use small screen laptops 90% of the time, I'd like to see everybody size to around 800x600 when posting an attachment picture. I won't even read a post if somebody sticks a large picture in it. Not only is the picture so wide and tall that scrolling is required, it changes all the text in each post making it necessary to scroll across to read the full text of the post. That includes others who reply. As far as gallery pics, yes the site automatically resizes the pictures.

Here is an example of an overly large attachment:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9583

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #19

Enough photo lessons, how about some river carnage
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #20

I don't have any pictures ready but if you want a little river carnage teaser check out these links. The river I went to idaho to run is the NF Payette. It's a 16 mile run with 19 named rapids. Two IV+ and 17 class V's. I've only run the easy part called the lower 5. That's 5 miles with both IV+'s and two V's. although at the flow during my runs Of 2150cfs I would call Juicer a V not a IV+. I've got 8 runs in on the lower 5 so far. 5 last year and 3 this year. I only got 3 runs in this year because i had to take 4 days off to let the swelling go down. More to follow when I do a real trip report

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... ail/id/592

Not sure if this link works but it's a high water kayak run. Crazy high water stuff. Not something I would even think about in my cat. That link isn't the one I wanted to post but if you watch that one look at a few of the rest. There is one of of a guy running Jacobs ladder at 8000cfs. Totally crazy death ride stuff.

http://vimeo.com/26223432

Edit.....try this link
http://vimeo.com/12563837