Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #21
Site Team

Re: Would you "do it" again??

I found mine through Cars.com, in the Advanced Search mode using Sportsmobile as the key word.

When I bought mine, I had to move QUICKLY, though I think you have the luxury of much more time these days. FYI, there are two Chevy-based units there now and one Ford-based unit.

Herb

Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #22

We would "do it again" without hesitation. We bought used, and an older SMB to boot. We've found the workmanship to be excellent - we have not had some of the problems that seem to crop up on occasion with newer SMB work. Also, we saved BIG BUCKS. Here in the Pacific Northwest I've seen good deals on Craigslist, on other on-line sites, and even in the newspaper. BUT - we found ours on a local "put it here to sell it" lot full of trucks, cars, boats, and all sorts of RVs. A key step in buying used is to find a local mechanic or shop that knows RVs and is honest, and then to pay them to do a thorough check of the vehicle before you turn loose of any loot. Cost me a hundred bucks or so, but well worth it. The only thing the guy missed was that the house batteries needed replacing, but the PO, a bit of a character, had hidden this fact well. So, I had to pay for a new set of batteries. No big deal. And the PO had already dealt with any other problems, like an abused transmission (he had to put in a rebuilt before he could sell the vehicle). We now know that if we had the $$, we'd sell our beloved Sporty and buy a new one. Jeff, best of luck in your quest!
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

I have found the SMB is one of my best "toys" that I've purchased to date. Only you will be able to determine the cost vs. usability factor. Fortunately, I also use it as a daily driver so it serves a dual purpose. But I have always wanted a ready to go camper. For me, I felt life was too short and the van has fulfilled more than what I expected after my purchase. It's taken me places that I never thought I would go. But it has also hit my pocketbook. Upgrades are common and most owners will add or improve something after the original purchase, just expect standard maintenance costs as with most RV's (maybe more). Added tech = more that can go wrong. I think this applies to all RV's but a 4x4 SMB can go where most RV's can't making it a unique vehicle and worth it IMO. "What's in your wallet"?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
"What's in your wallet"?
Not much anymore...........

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote