Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #1

Would you "do it" again??

HI All!

I have been wanting a SMB for a long time. I have the brochure (many nights spent poring over which options etc.) and have checked out this site as well as SMB's so many times getting myself all excited...

But, what I wonder is, how many people who have bought one would do it again?? I must say that, if anything, checking out a lot of the posts here certainly has given me a moments pause. Do most owners have the problems I read about here or is it a minority? From the Espar units to tire carriers, awning brackets, freezing water lines etc. there certainly are issues that concern me.

I still REALLY want to get one. I love the way they look and the freedom it represents. My house is just over 8600' in elevation in the San Juans,I would be parking it outside and would be using it as a daily driver.

I would appreciate any thoughts/insights anyone would have on this.

Thanks

gohigher861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #2

Re: Would you "do it" again??

Well of course I would get another one. My only regret is that I didn't get one sooner and start camping more. We took a small risk in purchasing a new SMB two years before we paid the house off (basically having to carry two mortgages) but it has paid off in more time outdoors and quicker getaways.

Sometimes you would get the impression from reading the forum that most people spend their time working on their rigs in their driveways. But that's because people frequently post asking for help with something, and don't frequently post that they are having no problems. Excuse me now, but I have to go work on the rig.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #3

Yes, in an instant! As someone else mentioned recently, it can change your life. Being able to get out and camp in any season and at a moment's notice, if desired, without lugging camping equipment out of the garage and packing the SUV can make a huge difference in how many times you get out to enjoy our wild areas.

As far as repairs, things break or need attention in our house too but that doesn't make us wish we were still renting a place to live!

Of course, if you SMB stays in the driveway for months on end, then it was probably a poor decision...<g>
Old 11-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Site Team

I wholeheartedly agree with Ed, but my biggest problem is not using the SMB enough for it's intended purpose. Just like the 6.0L diesel, people tend to post problems. Not that the 6.0L isn't without its share of problems, but that's all you tend to hear about for an engine that's in thousands upon thousands of vehicles.

That said, if I wanted to go hardcore expedition travel, I would base my vehicle on something far less complicated that could be fixed in the field with a pair of pliers, duct tape and bailing wire. In California, this would mandate a pre-smog-test-required vehicle that has lots of parts available in junk yards.

Herb
Old 11-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the input Ed!

I too want a brand new one and am waiting, hopefully not too long, for the financial side of things to work out.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #6

Of course we would do it again. And, we may do it again anyway. After owning an SMB for awhile you can better design the next one.

Don't ask what I would change, because what's important for us may not be as important to you. For example:

- A bigger pantry would be nice for us. Do you want to use the space for something else? More closet space? More bed space? Some countertop?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

If you want a brand new one, and you want a diesel, you better get boogyin'!!
Bill
Old 11-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
If you want a brand new one, and you want a diesel, you better get boogyin'!!
Bill
When I was at SMBw a few weeks ago, they were debating whether or not to place a large order for diesel Ford vans before the deadline. They did last time Ford went through the "no more diesels" thing, but it does tie up a large amount of capital for them. Not a business decision I envy. Even if they do place the order, keep in mind that low supply tends to drives prices higher, though I will say I've never seen SMB charge prices higher than MSRP.

Herb
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #9

Thanks again for the replies. I do want a diesel, when I saw Alan's letter saying no more diesels after Nov. 20th I was kind of bummed. I'm not in a position at the moment to buy one, but hopefully in a year or so. Even though it would be parked in the driveway, it would get a lot of use. I'm out just about every day off for hiking, mt. biking, skiing, anything to be in the outdoors.

If I had a dollar for every time I was out and said to myself: "If I had my SMB right now I would just pull over right here and spend the night, wouldn't that be great", I would have enough to buy one!! I just think they are the coolest thing.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
Site Team

You can always get the base diesel van now and have the 4x4 and camper conversions done later when funds are more readily available.

Herb