Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

WYOMING TRIP

I am planning a 2 month trip (maiden voyage) in my van out to Wyoming, Utah, Colorado. I have zeroed in on Bridger-Teton Wilderness area specifically Gros Ventre road out to the Slide Lake area as my first stop.

Looking for some FREE campsites, fly fishing, mtn biking, kayaking.

Has anyone on the forum been out to this area? Can you give me any pertinent info on the above?

Thanks,

jjtwister

Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
1959 Chevy Apache Hot Rod
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #2

Re: WYOMING TRIP

I live in Jackson and get up to that area every now and then.

There are some paid camping areas right up at Slide Lake and further up the road at Crystal Creek. Decent small water flyfishing at Crystal when it's clear. The Gros Ventre river right below Slide Lake is a popular kayaking run in higher water and also decent fishing.

There is also some great free camping on Shadow Mountain a few miles away. Some great campsites with stellar Teton views plus great mountain biking on Shadow. Ride from the bottom up the road and hit singletrack all the way down. It's a popular 7-8 mile loop. I love camping up there. You can also explore some of the FS roads around Shadow where there is good camp spots. 2wd mostly but 4wd is muddy or snowy weather.

Other area spots to consider that would have free camping: Greys River Road near Alpine, Wyoming and Granite Hot Springs area (Granite Creek/Little Granite Creek). There are also some fee camping spots up Curtis Canyon/Flat Creek area closer to Jackson. Feel free to hit me up for info.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #3

Garage

^^^ great info dparkwy! Ill have to check out some of those spots myself. I absolutly love everywhere ive been with a view of the tetons.

x2 on granite hot springs. some nice spots back there and the springs are really nice. the pool attendant there was super anal about alcohol at the pool and was kinda an ******* last time we were there. I havent been to the actual springs as its always been full and ended up at the pool, but this time of year you might have a better chance of getting them to yourself. they look hot though, lol. everytime ive been back there and saw people standup, their usually pretty pink and you can tell how deep of water they were in.

we were actually just through that general area week before last and there was very little snow (if any) between rock springs and idaho falls. roads were easy travel. good luck with your travels and post up some pix for us!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I’ve also stayed at Crystal Cr CG but stayed outside the main camp close to the river. Take the dirt road just past the CG. It loops around to a few numberless spots. One has a table. At least they are isolated a bit. I've stayed here several times.

Also stayed on Curtis Cr RD but those spots aren’t quite as nice. There are a few boon dock spots just off the road. It’s a steep drive out of the refuge though but quite scenic.

Here is a list of a few free CG's across America.
http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/default.htm

Don't miss snowy mtn drive if you're in the area...wyoming 130. Several good camps outside Centennial Wy. They have a small fee though.
Attached Thumbnails
YELLOWSTONE 2010 077A.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #5

It's not quite the area you are targeting, but certainly on your way. My neighborhood around Laramie has great mountainbiking and lots of free camping in the Medicine bow national forest both east and west of Laramie. West of town is the Snowy Range Road daveb mentioned and I agree it is worth the drive for some great scenery. If you come this way, shoot me an email and I can give you directions to the biking trails and campsites.p
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote