Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #11

Re: Yellow river?

If this claim is true, wow.

I'm from the Government and I'm here to help...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/claim ... le/2570078

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
The mining industry, coal industry, etc. powers America, whether you like it or not. The EPA has just created a unmitigated disaster.

Where is the outrage from the enviro-nazis?? Where’s Greenpeace or The Center For Bio Diversity people on this? Haven’t heard a peep!

If there was ever a better argument that the EPA should be disbanded, this is it.

How will the EPA pay for this? By taxing you.

The scope of this disaster is so large, most can’t even understand it.

How much is the EPA going to fine themselves for this?
I can't believe I just read such a load of moronic blather. The EPA should be disbanded, because they are trying to figure out how to clean up a mess created before the EPA was created??? Get. A. Grip.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
The mining industry, coal industry, etc. powers America, whether you like it or not. The EPA has just created a unmitigated disaster.

Where is the outrage from the enviro-nazis?? Where’s Greenpeace or The Center For Bio Diversity people on this? Haven’t heard a peep!

If there was ever a better argument that the EPA should be disbanded, this is it.

How will the EPA pay for this? By taxing you.

The scope of this disaster is so large, most can’t even understand it.

How much is the EPA going to fine themselves for this?
I can't believe I just read such a load of moronic blather. The EPA should be disbanded, because they are trying to figure out how to clean up a mess created before the EPA was created??? Get. A. Grip.
There's hundreds of reasons why the EPA should be disbanded. This is just the latest.

Remind me again...who caused this spill? The EPA went in without a backup plan and caused a huge disaster. Do you have a solution for this? The EPA caused this disaster. Why else would they be attempting to get members of The Navajo Nation to sign waivers??? Or are you just here to talk shit?
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:04 AM   #14
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Ugh......here's an article on the real culprit, the foreign mining companies that came in, took what they wanted and left a big environmental disaster for us to deal with decades later. Blame it on whoever or whatever government agency you want if it makes you feel any better, while we're at it lets defund every government agency put in place since that helps to prevent these contaminated sites from ever happening again by letting every foreign entity have at it, without regulation, all those silly rules and regulations just get in the way of their bottom line profit anyway.......
The real culprit in the Animas River spill
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/12/opinions/ ... index.html
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #15
Site Team

I didn't see in the article referenced, that this particular mine was due to foreign mining interests. The article mentions the "legacy" of foreign and domestic mining and the lack of reclamation, but doesn't attribute this particular incident to any particular company (shouldn't be hard to track that down - how about some proper journalism?) whether foreign or domestic.

At the same time, if the company didn't violate any laws, as horrible as it is you can't really hold them accountable.

Herb
Old 08-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #16

It's so easy to point the finger at the EPA but they pushed for Superfund Status for decades and the state and locals didn't want it. Can't go after the tourism dollars in Durango and Silverton if your associated with being an environmental disaster. So, they're forced to mitigate the hazard with one arm behind their backs with limited funding and when they make a mistake the state attorney's for Co and NM go after them. Go figure.

It was an accident and now it's the EPA's fault. IMO, the fine state of Colorado is equally to blame.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Seconding Joe's comment, that area has plenty of debris from Wild West mining. There's a recent article in the Durango Herald about Silverton's opposition to a Superfund designation for this site, probably due to fears of the impact on tourism. My brother spent several years in Durango cleaning up uranium tailings, I think in the spot that is the town dog park these days. And, to show it's not limited to Dgo, one of our favorite high country retreats is in the South San Juans where an arsenic spill at the Summitville mine killed everything in the Alamosa River, done by a Canadian (IIRC) mining operation that promptly declared bankruptcy and walked.

Dave, don't give up on hearings. I imagine they're coming.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

I just feel if it's due to incompetence somebody should be held responsible. I agree a fine isn't the solution and hope this won't be swept under the rug but I'll bet the blame game will start because it's a government agency and we'll never know the truth. Unfortunately part of my duties at work is a hazmat supervisor. I see the BS the EPA puts us through but also see the bad side of what some industries can do if untethered and none of us need that. The problem is there's no moderation.
It looks like in this situation we have been dealt a bad set of cards from the past when the environment wasn't the primary concern of the nation and today we have to work with the cleanup. That said there are companies that are very environmentally conscious including many in the mining industries and I'll be the last to rub their noses in it.

I've seen thing go wrong on cleanups and although I'm not defending the EPA, it's totally possible this was just a huge mistake. I just hate seeing this crap go down.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #19

All the answers are right here:

*stillhatepoliticsontheforum*
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #20

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I blame the legendary author, I. P. Freely.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote