Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #1

Yosemite

We are planning a trip from MO to Yosemite this summer in July. Any tips on good camping (w/ electric) on that route? Fishing would be a plus! Any specific campgrounds in Yosemite to recommend? Camping with 2 small dogs.

Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #2

Re: Yosemite

Yosemite is awesome. For in the park if you want to stay in the valley one of the Pines CG(I think Upper Pines) along the Merced River has some beautiful sites. Keep in mind that there are a lot of people there. If you have time I suggest staying there a few nights and then also stay up in Toulomne Meadows for a couple nights. Totally different experience.
Have a great trip.
steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

There are no RV sites with electrical in Yosemite National Park that I’m aware of. Also, the valley floor does get quite hot during July but usually not near as hot as August. Outside the park there are a couple full hookup RV parks, the closest is probably on Hardin Flat Rd. You also might try Yosemite West who has cabins but I’m not sure about RV’s.
Steve’s post about the Pines campground is correct but you need to check which will accept animals (check that for all CG's).
If you have a small RV my favorite is Tamarack Flat but has been first come first serve in the past.
Porcupine Flat is another great first come first serve small RV CG located between Tuolumne Meadows and Crane Flat.
Tuolumne Meadows is the most beautiful spot in the park IMO and the CG offers a high altitude terrain that is at least worth looking into. But it’s a long drive back to the valley floor. Mosquitoes might be an issue here in July. It has a small store and restaurant plus gasoline (no diesel) and the best fishing for access from the highway. There are some great hikes in cool weather from here at 9000 feet.
Another fine CG is Bridalveil located on the road to Glacier Point. Also a first come first serve camp but another high altitude CG that is cool in the summer.
Most of the other campgrounds are by reservation and book quickly.

If you want more info on the area just PM me and I can give you some suggestions.

I don’t recommend this spot but it’s fairly close unlike most of the others outside the park.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Y ... kId=260571
The state stocks the river here for some really good fishing for large plants.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #4

Last time I was there, I camped at Tamarack Flats. It was really quiet (early Sept) Maybe 5 campsites taken in the whole place. Great spot!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #5

Ed is correct, there are no hook-ups at all in Yosemite National Park and few in California outside commercial RV parks. Note that, in the summer, Yosemite can be very busy and the campgrounds noisy. The falls will have peaked a couple of months earlier and but should still be flowing. Reservations are a must and you need to get them right away. We prefer either Upper or Lower Pines in the Valley although we normally camp there off-season. The NPS website will tell you about camping with pets. Basically, they are allowed in campgrounds (except Tamarack Flat, Porcupine Flat, and walk-in campgrounds) We’ve camped in the Valley with our cat several times. Pets are limited to only paved trails. But the short walk to Yosemite Falls is paved as is the hike to Vernal Falls. The Yosemite NPS website has more information on pets.

You didn't mention which way you are coming into or going out of the Park. Either on the way into the Park or out, I'd suggest taking Highway 120 over Tioga Pass. (Tioga Pass normally opens by Memorial Day.) While the Valley can be warm in July, the High Country and Tuolumne Meadows will be cooler and the sun will be intense. The meadow will also still have wild flowers in bloom. Mosquitoes don’t disappear at that elevation until the end of July (they will have been gone already in the Valley) but they typically only come out in the early morning and late evening with a few in wetter spots during the day. It is not enough of a problem to avoid camping in the high country, especially with a good insect repellant.

We've always like the Tuolumne Meadows campground. Half of the sites can be reserved but the rest are first-come, first-served. Fishing in the Tuolumne River downstream from the highway bridge near the campground can be worthwhile...even if you don't catch anything, the scenery is spectacular!

If you decide to leave the Valley via Highway 120 rather than come in that direction, just check for available sites as you drive up toward Tuolumne Meadows. Forty years ago, we always planned on arriving at Tuolumne CG early on a Sunday morning since that is the time most campers depart. (If you leave the Park early enough, stop at White Wolf and have breakfast at the old stage stop...get a table on the porch if you can. The stage stop is a couple of miles from the highway and very relaxing with a pretty meadow just across the access road. There is also a campground there.) If you don't find CGs along the way to Tioga Pass, don't worry as there are some FS campgrounds just outside the Park. There are a couple just east of the pass (both very close to highway) and one at Saddleback Lakes although it is pretty barren (it might be above timberline). If these are full, there are some county campgrounds at the bottom Tioga Pass along Lee Vining Creek. They are a little more beaten down but fine for those just looking for a place for the night. Fishing in Lee Vining can be worthwhile. If you are still out of luck finding a campground and don't need electricity, turn south on Highway 395 and take a dirt road off the highway and just boondock. (The restaurant at the gas station at the intersection of 395 and 120 has some awesome prepared food choices...we always get dinner to go at the restaurant and then find a place to camp on the way to Mammoth.)

Bodie State Park is a little north of the town of Lee Vining and really worth a visit…no camping though. South of Lee Vining is Mammoth Lakes which has some excellent fishing in the surrounding lakes and streams. This area is a high desert and can also be warm. There are also a number of FS CGs in the area but none with hook-ups…
Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #6

If you need a couple of nights in a hotel check out this place. A few miles from the Giant Sequoia Grove and the south entrance. Great Rates Also has the best restaurant in the area.
http://www.narrowgaugeinn.com/
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote