Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #41

I was digging around the efilive forum and the performance issues seems to be more related to the use tunes from efilive. Apparently smarty tunes and possibly others figured a way around this issue.

andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #42

I was combing through the torque app and there are a handful of other sensors that aren't integrated or functioning. I'm not sure what's still being monitored by the ford ECU as I know a handful of things are based on when I plugged the reader into that for a bit. Hoping to know more next week.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #43

Got the van back from the diesel shop. Ended up with an EZ-lynk + tunes, plus some trans wiring harness repair due to some mouse damage. Holy hell this van is fast now. Boost is in the mid 30s even with the bigger turbo, however as I suspected - this will force my hand to deal with the cooling. Coolant temps usually only got to about 195-198 coming up the hill to the house, but taking it home from the shop it hit 214 before I backed off. EGTs were steady in the 900-1000 range up the hills. I do need to get those 3.73 gears in it though, it's in 6th around 40 mph, 5th sometimes as early as 25 mph.

Fan shroud will be next - have to hit a junkyard for some Jeep parts soon anyway, so hopefully I can find one there. If that doesn't do it, I'll bite the bullet and do the nose swap so I can get a bigger intercooler (and possibly rad) into there. The factory 6.0 is only rated at 235 HP and the cummins is roughly double that, so I am suspicious that the intercooler is driving up IATs which will drive up EGTs and overall heat.

Lastly the a/c is building pressure like there's a blockage. Need to trace out the txv and/or find out if there's an RO in the line.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #44

A little more driving before getting into the troubleshooting - egt's seem to steadily climb even at moderate + low boost scenarios, which I believe points to a boost leak and extra fuel in the exhaust. IATs actually stay nice and cool so maybe the intercooler isn't as undersized as I had thought. I would prefer to keep the 06 front end as it's shorter and my driveway is tight, so fingers crossed I find a big boost leak (or several small ones) and the egt issue drops away.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #45

Can't tell from the previous pics what the intercool charge pipe routing looks like or how they're joined. What's the condition of the couplers?

Where is your EGT probe?
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #46

Couplers are high on my list of things to check, along with their clamps. I think I didn't see heat issues with it previously because it wasn't really fueling or boosting, not nearly like it is now anyway. It's also possible that even just the 60 hp tune is aggressive enough with more fuel at low rpms, and the aftermarket turbo isn't building boost at the lower rpms like the factory one would with the guide vanes. I'm leaning (hoping) the boost leak theory is the more accurate guess.

EGT probe is in the exhaust manifold, pic here.
Attached Thumbnails
20200314_140214.jpg  

Old 06-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #47

Did some HD engineering (home depot) and built a simple boost leak tester. That coupling I showed above was most definitely a large boost leak, but also found the coupling coming off of the intercooler to the intake had a small tear in it as well. Fixed the coupling on the turbo by just repositioning it and tightening the clamps, may need to get one with a bellows on that spot if it keeps shifting. For the upper coupling, it'll just get replaced. Hopefully this drops EGTs a bit, there was a LOT of air being lost by these 2.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210530_190715159.jpg   PXL_20210531_155208401.jpg   PXL_20210531_160821233.MP.jpg   PXL_20210531_162742131.jpg  

Old 06-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #48

Garage
That should change the performance! I ended out with a tear in my turbo hose that was about 1/3 the circumference of a dime - lost about 50% of the power from the engine with that small tear. I was amazed on what impact a relatively small air leak will do to a Diesel engine...certainly not like losing the turbo or boost in a gasser.
On another occasion the turbo hose blew off all together (clamp let loose) - engine didn’t even create enough power to pull the van up a small incline,
Old 06-01-2021, 09:50 AM   #49

Yeah it's pretty wild how touchy they are. I think it's also due to the fact that extra fuel going into the exhaust is a much bigger deal than in a gasser as it will generate even more heat, not cool things off.

I just realized I didn't post a pic of the other coupling. This was the major leak compared to the torn boot. I couldn't get it to move the needle on the pressure gauge until I fixed this one. The fact that the turbo still made over 30 psi is just a testament to how damn large the thing is and how much air it moves. Turns out it's a 'Super B Special' which is a bit larger than the regular Super B.

Specs from BD:

Comp Wheel: 63mm 2.48in
Turbine Wheel: 80mm 3.15in
A/R Ratio: 0.80
Flow: 79 Lb/min
Approximate rated 550hp (depending on truck configuration)
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210523_173953664.jpg  

Old 06-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #50

Ended up just replacing all of the couplings on the boost circuit except for the one right off the turbo. Looks like the intercooler outlet actually needed a 3.25" to 3" reducer, and the intercooler inlet needed a more appropriate bend so that's all squared away now. Used Silicone Intakes for most of them since they're a local CO company, good pricing, and their boots are super thick and durable. I used HPS for the 'bump' coupling since I needed it to be longer than 3", and the Silicone Intakes ones despite being cheaper, were thicker than the more expensive HPS coupler.

Side note - I thought the factory 6.0 intercoolers had plastic ends? This intercooler is all metal. Maybe it isn't a factory 6.0 intercooler after all. Still can't see a part # or tag on it.

EGTs are definitely better. However without the fan shroud, and with what seems to be a bum fan clutch, underhood/engine temps are still a concern. The van goes into Timberline this week for the high top swap, and I will get a fan shroud + mechanical fan clutch on order for when it comes back.

Also, reading through some other threads - will likely add a turbo blanket + wrap the DP. I'd like to keep the '06 nose if at all possible as my driveway turnaround is super tight, and the extra 7" of the '08+ nose would either mean I'm expanding the driveway or adding a few extra points to the turn to back it in.

A prior mouse infestation (I assume while the youth group owned the van) has taken out some of the factory insulation on the dog house, so that will get addressed with the kit from quiet ride. But that doesn't appear to replace the factory fiberglass? Just supplement it? So that might entail a junkyard run to get some replacement fiberglass insulation.