Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #11

Ah, that's way too simple. I'd rather so some complex math instead . I'll actually try that soon.

b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #12

Ooo… following for more pics.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #13

So, spent 3 hours going through the van with Destroked last Saturday. Scott over there was kind enough to loop in the guy that did the wiring harness so that was tremendously useful. He also plugged into the trans computer (factory GM) and we drove around troubleshooting the trans. The shifts are fine, what's harsh is the torque converter lock up. After some tinkering and a new adaptation, it's still firm but miles better than it was. Going to let the trans learn/adapt for a tank of fuel then revisit.

Anyway, grabbed a couple shots of the front of the engine bay. When I do an oil change in the near future I'll grab some of the view from the dog house. Everything is nice and accessible, and for the keen eye - they did head studs already as well.

The PO did hack up a little of the wiring on the driver side as you can see, including a very sketchy power distribution bolt. We are working on cleaning that up.
Attached Thumbnails
20191012_095745.jpg   20191012_095753.jpg   20191012_095759.jpg  
Old 11-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #14

Alright, spent a year tooling around in the van getting to know it, the good and what we'd like to change, so now over the winter the fun can begin.

Priorities will be:

#1. Coil conversion. The alcan leafs up front aren't bad but I really want to take the lift down a couple inches, get ride of my wheel adapters (already have 8x170 wheels), improve steering + braking, and get a bit more compliance on washboard roads. Spring choice will be critical. Also swapping axle ratio to 3.73 since that's what's in the front axle I have.

#2. Remove shuttle hvac box, or at least tuck it up closer to the wall. The hot water valve on it is stuck open and it's right in the way of the floor.

#3. This is a big step for me but I'll likely hand over sorting out some electronic issues with the swap over to the guy that does the wiring harnesses. I hooked up an OBDII scanner to the engine harness (there's 3 - one for the engine, one for the trans, and one for the chassis) and it was like a damn christmas tree with the error codes. It actually runs fine, but I'd like to sort out as many of those as possible. I am capable of sorting out some of the minor stuff, but some of these are because it's not in the native dodge chassis.

#4. Start interior build. We're torn between an EB22 style layout with a dinette and sleeping across the van (no shower though), or building an elevated slide out bed. Internal bike storage in the rear. Probably getting a stewco cabinet, although if I can get some of these european cabinet makers to play ball with shipping we'll go that route.

#5. Swap to a taller high top so I can stand up. #4 and #5 may switch places depending on cash flow and where I can get a top installed. My garage *might* be tall enough since the rafters are at 12', but I'd probably have to take the door opener down.

#6. Swap fan clutch and get a shroud on the radiator. Temps are fine for on road driving but without a shroud and with a questionably wired fan clutch (factory wiring got destroyed at least twice), I'm hesitant to go back off road.

And of course, PFA
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200824_163720 (1).jpg  

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
Old 11-30-2020, 09:57 AM   #15

I'd ditch the PWM fan. I never felt like mine worked right (Probably didn't because it's controlled in part by the dodge BCM which handles the climate control and A/C clutch, which is all tied in to the fan speed protocol...).

I got one of these adapters and a clutch fan from a 7.3L.
https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...e-cummins.aspx
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I'd ditch the PWM fan. I never felt like mine worked right (Probably didn't because it's controlled in part by the dodge BCM which handles the climate control and A/C clutch, which is all tied in to the fan speed protocol...).

I got one of these adapters and a clutch fan from a 7.3L.
https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...e-cummins.aspx
Ha you read my mind. That was the route I was going to take. Even if I lose a tiny bit of efficiency on warm up, it's way worth it to have one less thing to worry about. I know our engines aren't mounted in the exact same position so I was going to bust out the tape measurer after I took the fan out and see if it all would fit, and if it would fit in a factory shroud or if I needed to bend some sheetmetal. Since mine sits a bit higher than yours I am wary that the fan is too high for a normal shroud.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #17

Oh yeah, I forgot the other juicy details some folks would be interested in. It has ARP head studs and a BD 'Super B' turbo (and supporting manifold). Supposedly good for up to ~550hp, although the current tune seems to top out around 25 psi so I am not 100% sure exactly what it's putting out, or what injectors it has. Getting a proper tune on it is on the menu for after getting some of the ECU/PCM items sorted out.

Also, the other major hiccup I found and have remedied was the coolant. There was generic green in there which supposedly doesn't mesh with the 6.7, so that got swapped out for proper OAT coolant. That coolant flush was nasty, especially the heater cores.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot the other juicy details some folks would be interested in. It has ARP head studs and a BD 'Super B' turbo (and supporting manifold). Supposedly good for up to ~550hp, although the current tune seems to top out around 25 psi so I am not 100% sure exactly what it's putting out, or what injectors it has. Getting a proper tune on it is on the menu for after getting some of the ECU/PCM items sorted out.

Also, the other major hiccup I found and have remedied was the coolant. There was generic green in there which supposedly doesn't mesh with the 6.7, so that got swapped out for proper OAT coolant. That coolant flush was nasty, especially the heater cores.
So temping to turn up the juice isn't? I have no doubt at all that the engine can handle big power all day but I'm a bit hesitant to put the Allison through any boosted launches on the "race" tune.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
So temping to turn up the juice isn't? I have no doubt at all that the engine can handle big power all day but I'm a bit hesitant to put the Allison through any boosted launches on the "race" tune.
According to the build sheet it has a stage 5 Allison from ATS up the road from Destroked. *Technically* it's rated for some serious abuse, but do I want to find out and find the limit? Not particularly.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
According to the build sheet it has a stage 5 Allison from ATS up the road from Destroked. *Technically* it's rated for some serious abuse, but do I want to find out and find the limit? Not particularly.
"Stage 5" only means that it's 5-figures to replace if it lets go.

I don't think our use model for our vans is a big risk for the trans as long as the tuning is right. I don't like the *abrupt* (to say the least) torque converter lock up but it's been getting better the more we dial in.