Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #101

Upright versions of the tire carriers. Thanks to twoeccentrics for the photo tip.
Attached Thumbnails
9D2E71F4-41D4-4AE5-A8C8-26722545F9A3.jpg   E76516C1-761C-4C2A-8432-35B36195D667.jpg  

Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
And a shot of a little light bar I mounted behind the grill. Picked it up from Superbrightleds. Haven’t used it much yet.
Hi Whit, I am looking at lighting options for my Express and am curious about how yours are working out? Did you go with the 10 inch bar behind the grill? Spot or driving beam? Did you use the brackets that came with the bar to mount the bar or an aftermarket bracket like the one Weldtec sells? I think theirs is for the 7in bar though. And finally, what headlights did you go with? They look LED as well. Happy with those too? Appreciate it! - S
Old 05-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #103

I did go with a slim bar from Superbrightleds behind the grill which has worked just fine. Its either a 10 or 12" can't remember, in spot pattern. Having said that, my needs for that bar have changed because I updated my headlights since this last post. Shame on me for not putting anything here.

I did initially update the headlights to LEDs from CarIDs website and they were fairly inexpensive but were an improvement over stock. I finally decided I wanted more after another winter of driving around Oregon so I pulled the trigger on a set from JW Speaker. It would be hard to overstate how much better these lights are. They are slightly more yellow in light which is better in my opinion, but the power, clarity, and spread are better in every way by some multiple. The brights are so much better that my light bar is now obsolete. I would strongly recommend putting any money you are going to spend on lights towards a set of these first. They are that good.

I did add a set of PIAA yellow driving lights in yellow to help for the times when I'm driving at night in the snow and they are great. I would recommend something like that as a second light set if you spring for the JW Speakers. Having said that, because I wanted some more spread and, well just because, I have a 20" PIAA bar showing up today actually that I will put behind the grill in place of the other. I just used some simple L brackets that I attached via some already existing bolts that hold part of the grill or cowling maybe in place. It was pretty easy and has worked well. Haven't had to adjust it at all. Hope that helps. Again, I wish the first dollars I spent were on these headlights and then gone from there.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #104

Quote:
I recently added another couple inches of lift to the van via new, re-indexed front torsion keys and an added 2" block to the rear from Weldtec. With a little bit of trimming I am now running 285/70 x 17 tires. Another addition and significant improvement to the rear end ride was the double negative overload springs from Weldtec in place of the one large standard GM platform spring. Some further bulleted notes below:

torsion key lift: Bought them from Ready Lift. If anyone out there is interested the keys on my van were the same ones used in the latest model Hummer H2s as well as some Silverados. GM part number 15657374.

Beautiful job, just finished reading this entire thread

I have a 2008 QuigleyDuramax and asked Sportsmobile about my torsion keys. They said I have #15657374 like you mentioned purchasing, but I've tried fitting a 285/70 x 17 on Method Race wheels and I couldn't even turn the wheels (too much rubbing). How much are your torsion keys adjusted? Mine are cranked about a 1/4 from no hex screw engagement. Did you have to trim the body mounts for install? Or were you able to drive before trimming the mounts? 15657374
El_Viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #105

Thanks. I was able to run that size tire without trimming the body mounts, yes. I can’t remember though if I went to that size tire before or after I went to the new keys though. May have been after. I should probably go back and look but it should be something you can tell from the thread. Incidentally I think Boulder Offroad is now selling a lift kit for these vans with reindexed keys. Otherwise you can order them from Ready Lift or many other outfits.

You should be able to run a 285/70 x 18 pretty easily and I have pretty much no rubbing and have been really happy.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:00 PM   #106

I saw the Boulder Offroad Kits, I already have the same torsion key that you have so I wonder if I just need to crank that torsion key more. Thanks for the background!
Old 09-26-2021, 11:05 PM   #107

Oh you already replaced the keys with reindexed ones? I can grab a photo for you of where the adjuster screw is if you’d like.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #108

Quote:
Oh you already replaced the keys with reindexed ones? I can grab a photo for you of where the adjuster screw is if you’d like.

A pic would be great! Sportsmobile told me the reindexed keys were installed on my conversion (and I have the build sheet that proves it), so I'm wondering if I just need to adjust them more. A picture showing the keys and where the adjustment screw is set would be money
Old 09-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #109

I think that could be where the issue is and maybe my post wasn’t as clear as it could be. That part number is the one for the factory GM keys. You need to purchase the reindexed version of that part number which would need to come from the after market. Good news is they are pretty inexpensive.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #110

Quote:
I think that could be where the issue is and maybe my post wasn’t as clear as it could be. That part number is the one for the factory GM keys. You need to purchase the reindexed version of that part number which would need to come from the after market. Good news is they are pretty inexpensive.

Gotcha, I looked at the ReadyLift website and I didn't see anything for vans. Do you happen to recall what part you purchased? I've spent the last week trying to figure that out through Google and I'm lost

« 2014 rb50 | Hi. »