Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post

I've got to say its a very viable alternative to the standard E-Series and with the right body/chassis combination could become an ideal transport/camper/off-roader fairly easily. Given they'd be far easier to find used or new they have to be seriously considered by more people I'd think.

None the less this one is pretty spectacular and shows the potential of this type body.

Yup! Total agreement here! To the point I'm pretty sure my next van will be a utility body like this. But I'll give it a few years, so Ford can add the plug-in hybrid option to the new 7.3L/10-speed powertrain.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #122
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
Sorry to hear you were stuck in 4 low. That is strange and crazy to go that far. Do you have the electric shift 4wd from Agile? Also curious if you have any form of front limited slip or locker?

You should air down a little lower in sand to help. I go 25 on front and 30-35 rear often when off-road. I have monitored the heat with a cheap HF laser and no issues.

Hope Agile gets you squared away quick. Maybe have them add a lockers now if you can afford it since they have it.
Hi KTM, I don't belive i have limited slip or posi. I'm confirming with Agile to get that an inspection once it's on the racks. You read my mind about the diff locker and i concluded on the trip a van of this size should probably have one. Thinking just the rear but i'll see what Agile has to say.

What temps do you monitor with the laser temp?
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #123
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Curious what your rig weighs in now that you have most of the exterior conversions done... went back through the this Thread briefly & didnt come across it (probably just missed it), what size tires are you running?
Hi TwoX,

Running 33's. Nitto trail grapplers. I belive i stated they were Terra's in a previous post. I did get a tiny amount of rub on the passenger side in full turns at odd angles but we were able to knock that edge back a bit.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #124
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Yup! Total agreement here! To the point I'm pretty sure my next van will be a utility body like this. But I'll give it a few years, so Ford can add the plug-in hybrid option to the new 7.3L/10-speed powertrain.
The only shortcoming i can see in the rig is the seam between the cab and body. Extra reinforcement through there should be applied. The interior and exterior build out potential is enormous.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #125
KDB

Sooo, it was the shift motor. it's shot. A very rare thing to happen apparently. John at Agile is was adamant this is something they rarely ever see. It was new and the brand started with a D. I've forgotten the name. THey're going to slap a new one in as they tested it with an old one to determine the issue. Full fluid swap, complete vehicle inspection, and an ARB air locker(s) is in the works. Keeping fingers crossed no other issues were caused by the drive back to the border.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #126
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Curious what your rig weighs in now that you have most of the exterior conversions done... went back through the this Thread briefly & didnt come across it (probably just missed it), what size tires are you running?
THe van weighed 8300lbs when scaled at Agile. That's post conversion and tires. THe top CCV told me was close to 400#. 10k #'s im being told should be my top end for the leaf pack i've got (ambulance sized leafs) and the TTB conversion's weight max - meaning it's performance ability at that weight. Agile stated they've used the conversion at heavier weights. That's just where they prefer it to max out at.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #127
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
The only shortcoming i can see in the rig is the seam between the cab and body. Extra reinforcement through there should be applied. The interior and exterior build out potential is enormous.
The seam/joint you mention can be a problem if not properly maintained and/or replaced as that might become necessary. Similar joints have been in use for years on many vehicles from larger Kenworth tractor-trailer rigs down to the U-Haul types of cab/chassis rental moving trucks.

You do want some degree of flex between the service body and van cab as they will move at different rates while driving and temperature swings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
THe van weighed 8300lbs when scaled at Agile. That's post conversion and tires.
That initial weight is close to what I run as a daily driver in my full-bodied E250EB---its just at 7,800#, no 4x4 conversion, standard size LT tires.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #128
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
The seam/joint you mention can be a problem if not properly maintained and/or replaced as that might become necessary. Similar joints have been in use for years on many vehicles from larger Kenworth tractor-trailer rigs down to the U-Haul types of cab/chassis rental moving trucks.

You do want some degree of flex between the service body and van cab as they will move at different rates while driving and temperature swings

That initial weight is close to what I run as a daily driver in my full-bodied E250EB---its just at 7,800#, no 4x4 conversion, standard size LT tires.
It's not as heavy as most (including myself) were thinking it would be.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #129

KDB - I was at CCV a few weeks ago while your rig was there. Very impressive and something I had thought about for awhile! Glad you went down the path

My thought on the lockers - locker up front and LSD rear if your are planning on any snow time usage. I should have done that when Agile did our conversion.

Build out - I got to spend some hours (I was at CCV for a week) looking at the utility body and it has pluses and minuses for our usage. What kind of a layout are you considering?

One concern for us would be the lack of cab seat swivel to incorporate the front seats into the living area. It is nice that there is a passage from front to back. The inside outside access to cabinets will provide options for storage, etc. I can see a challenge on which cabinets get cut out for seating. - maybe towards the back so the rear doors provide vistas while dining in and galley forward behind the cab.

Very cool to have the pallet though! Should be lots of fun!! I am guessing you will play around using it and begin to see what will work best. Looking forward to following!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #130
KDB

Hi All,

Been a minute!... Update on Basecamp. I flew down to San Diego from San Jose and drove the rig home back to Santa Cruz in early June. Got the rear lockers and an additional house battery installed while the van was down there. The van drove great on the way and I pretty much took it straight to the interior builder.

Adventure Bravely is a new interior build outfit conveniently located here in Santa Cruz. Ely, the builder, is nice guy, young, and seems to be putting out quality builds and i feel fortunate to have found the guy. Especially someone so close.

To address 1der above, we wont be cutting any of the walls out for seating. It will have a complete galley and a small dinette over a sienna seat that's on a swivel with additional seating for two others (loft and accompanying stadium seat and another wall unit towards the rear), sleeping for three large adults (loft, mid bed over table, and cot for the floor).

Any feedback on diesel heaters people have experience with? Mark at CCV was testing a espar knock off that was performing really well. He hasn't gotten back to me on that yet but i'd like to go diesel as ive got a lot of it with the aux tank. I was originally thinking a propex but would like to hear some feedback on people's experiences. My concern is over diesel at elevation and their known soot issues.

So here are a few early floorplans ideas. More pics will follow.
Attached Thumbnails
KDB_Basecamp_Blueprint_Driver_A.jpg   KDB_Basecamp_Blueprint_Floor_Plan.jpg   KDB_Basecamp_Blueprint_Utility_Boxes.jpg   KDB_Basecamp_Blueprint_Rear_A.jpg