Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #141
KDB

Tx, Marret! I'm taking no credit here, of course. Eli at Adventure Bravely is the craftsman. Im simply assisting with a lot of the design ideas and aesthetic. Eli takes his woods seriously! He has got nice wood shop at his works space.

KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #142
KDB

Lots of progress has been made. I'm definitely getting excited to get the van on the road!

Cabinets are done. The satin texture is looking really good on both those and the walls. Third seat and fridge are in. Now this won't be the most comfortable third seat to ride in for extended periods of time but it'll serve the purpose and more often that not will act as a work/dining space for me. The swivel table for the third seat is still to come. I'm eager to test out the snomaster and how it compares to my arb. This will be my first dual zone.

The floor is in and looking good. Espar is installed as well. Picked up the baja piece from a guy on facebook. He started making them and selling on a baja forum. I got mine powdder coated. It'll probably live on the rear storage box somewhere.

The cut outs you see in the front ground will be two wall mounted seats. Eli has the folding seat mechanisms that he intends to do a nice leather wrap on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191219_204428 (1).jpg   IMG_20191219_204519.jpg   IMG_20191125_130712 (1).jpg   IMG_20191217_181247.jpg  
Old 12-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #143

Garage
Awesome. Thanks for taking us along.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #144
KDB

Slowly but surely. Here you can see the stove/sink coming together. Eli did a nice job pairing the grains to where it's really quite seamless looking. That just got stained and now matches the walls. Below the galley you'll see the t track that runs both side of the vehicle at hip level and at ground level. This will give me a ton of mounting points for strapping gear down like camp chairs, foldable solar panel, backpacks, etc.

The rear seats are in and are quite comfy. We will be incorporating the sequoia leg stand set up between those seats with a custom folding table that'll incorporate some kind of cool topo design. The hinges we will be using for both the rear tables are really cool and hidden in the folding pieces of the table. They're called Soss Invisible Hinges.

Also in the pic (with the top down) you can see the rear light and camera. There is also another camera on the passenger side rear facing straight out to the passenger side to allow me to capture that side in the monitor when driving solo. Otherwise it's virtually impossible to see when backing up and makes for a tense back up out of parking spaces, etc. Both cameras can be turned on while the vehicle is parked for viewing surroundings while closed up inside.

The Baja Designs rear light works extremely well. The switch for that will be located behind the drivers above my head on the dividing wall in the cockpit area. That'll have definitely have a switch cover. I'd hate to accidentally blind someone behind me while driving at night.

All the wiring above port door will soon be covered with a slanted powder coat piece with some cnc designs back lit. Additionally, the multi colored lighting was installed just under the upper bunk where you see a series of hole punch like cutouts along the underside of the perimeters of the bunk shelf. There is now frosted plexi glass covering those holes.

On the floors of the rear passenger side you'll see my tie downs (and covers) for the Ubco electric bike im hoping to have as my exploring transport/surfing and fishing rig when the van is basecamped.

Still to come is the foldable table in front of the rear jump seat which will fold and store nicely in the vertical space to the left of the port door. As well as some small cabinetry and wood finishing pieces in the bottom bunk area (which will be located over the rear jump seat and fridge - the fridge is on a tembo tusk slider for when the lower bed is deployed). We will also have a sliding shelf on the passenger side in the large rectangular cut out that will slide both inside and the outside of the vehicle for storage/cooking/food use.

Lots more to the build and still plugging away a bit at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191231_131136.jpg   IMG_20200125_191102.jpg   IMG_20200123_135437 (1).jpg   IMG_20200123_135342.jpg   IMG_20200125_191210.jpg  

Old 02-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #145
KDB

And a few more....

The Sequoia leg stand is in. THere's a better pic of the frosted plexiglass and lighting options. THe rear baja desings light is extremely bright and will work well when needed.

I decided i wanted a 3 way splitter at the espar to have that box act as a warming closet for boots, wetsuits, etc. There will be a shelf above that splitter to hold whatever needs warming. The three way has a dampener so it can be kept closed when not needed.

THe thin cabinets at the lower bunk will hold the lower bunk boards. There will also be a small compartment inside those opened by key fob only.

Solar and rear door insulation and covering are on deck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200204_155913.jpg   IMG_20200204_160004.jpg   IMG_20200204_232526 (1).jpg   IMG_20200204_232551 (1).jpg   IMG_20200204_232601 (1).jpg  

IMG_20200204_232954.jpg   IMG_20200204_232610.jpg   IMG_20200204_232837 (1).jpg   IMG_20200204_233026.jpg   IMG_20200204_233335 (1).jpg  

Old 02-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #146

It is beautiful!
Where did you get the jump seats?

Do you like them?
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #147
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
It is beautiful!
Where did you get the jump seats?

Do you like them?
Hi Marcel, Thanks! I'm excited to finally get to use the rig. I"ve put a lot of thought into the design and how the rig would best serve me. Looking forward to putting it in action.

I cant attest to the comfort of the rear most jump seats but they're comfortable when ive used them for short periods just checking out the van progress at the builders. The seats were made by Eli, the owner at Adventure Bravely here in Santa Cruz. The brackets he used for those are heavy duty shelf brackets called Rockler.

THe front jump seat is comfortable and will do a great job as a third passenger seat and work/eating desk. That seat is made by Freedman. Purchased through Suburbanseats.com. It's the BV style foldaway seat. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a comforable jump seat/belt combo that tucks away nicely.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #148

Thanks for the seat info!

I am toying with the option of a dinette with jump seats...
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #149
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
Thanks for the seat info!

I am toying with the option of a dinette with jump seats...
For me that was the way to go. Saves quite a bit of space.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #150
KDB

Progress still being made! ...And we really don't have too much further to go on the build as this post is a bit overdue.

Im already on too the bullet proofing mentally as that's the next stop after the interior. i did get and egr code thrown a few months back. Hasn't happened since then though the van is really not driven more than once every couple of weeks briefly while at the builders. I'm eager to get the van to the diesel shop, complete the bullet proofing, and just take a long break from custom anything. Just want to use the van. Soon come...and i'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. TIming with the corona crisis seems to be good anyhow.

In the pics you'll see the solar set up and aluminum frame. The frames mount very securely to the struts on the ccv poptop. 320W total. Just enough room to fit everything between the feet of the crossbars and the fan.

Also shown is the shower/dish area on the driver side. It has come together nicely and looks good with the blueridge overland velcro storage pockets. The Kahuna shower is powered by the Kodiak Lithium battery bank through a port into the cabin. Its seated in a ring of rubber securing it in place with a top strap coming over the lid. On demand hotwater will be located on this side in the mid cabinet adjacent to the long box with other additional storage

Sliding side drawers are complete. The centerpiece sliding drawer that slides both in and outside is near completion. Waiting for the leather drawer handle to finish up as well as finalizing the locking mechanism. Small wooden slider drawers will have a black powder coat finish handle.

You can see the t track throughout most of the interior under the cabinets for securing gear and my Tepui telescopic ladder. Above the fridge will be the second bed also making good use of the t track. I'll be following up with pics of that design and finished project here soon.

Sorry for the crooked images. Not sure why that's happening.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200313_172231.jpg   IMG_20200317_164842.jpg   IMG_20200317_164934.jpg   IMG_20200313_172013.jpg   IMG_20200313_171934.jpg  

IMG_20200313_171923 (2).jpg   IMG_20200313_172059.jpg   20200319_134333.jpg   20200319_134342.jpg   20200319_134319.jpg