Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #171
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Wow, I haven't caught up here in awhile. What an amazing build! Probably one of my favorite home builds ever. Congrats sir.

Thank you.... still underway but almost there. Should be getting the van back from Devil Mountain here soon. Gettting all the traditional bullet proofing done...to the best of my pocket book that is. Seems one could go extremely deep on that aspect of the build.

Again a big shout out to all those that assisted: Agile, Colorado Camper (i didn't think a pop top would've been possible on the rig), and Adventure Bravely (interior build). All did a great job... and im ready to get the hell out of California with this rig asap.

KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #172
KDB

Ok, so finally back from the engine rebuild. Bullet proofing done (wont be typing out all the details but hit all the big and smalls of that job), in addition to an upgraded alternator, radiator, drilled and slotted rotors, new steering gear box, edge 3 FICM, insulated and soundproofed doghouse,as well as a few other things. Excited to have it back!.... and so far is a job well done by Devil Mountain Diesel. Took about an extra month but at this point i've come to expect that and certainly don't want to rush through the job. Runs excellent. I am looking for a decent tune and may reach out to a few folks individually that ive been in touch with..... but would appreciate any other tune advice that anyone else has to share.

AND....all-in weight....Took the rig to the scales (not certified) and after the interior build out im at 10,190#. That does include about 20 gallons diesel so a bit over 10k# when completely dry.

Our beloved Sierra is pretty well roached at the moment so i may try and take 8-9 days and head to southern colorado somewhere to get the rig out into the wild....finally. Two years in the making. Some blood, sweat, and tears (at the pricetags)....but more than anything, patience. Lots of intense patience.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #173

Garage
Good thing your approached it with patience, rushing a mechanic is like poking a bear with a stick.
Not sure how you approached maintenance in the past, but would highly recommend the oil additives & fuel additives since you have a substantial investment in that engine (I now use the Amsoil fuel all-in-one & and their cetane boost. For oil I alternate between Archoil and Turbo Maxx)
If you are looking for a good tune, I'd recommend 5-Star - and have them program to engage the fan earlier - certainly helps maintain the temps on steep, long, slow crawls (also on long steep pavement grades).
Old 09-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #174
KDB

Great, tx 2x. I've got my archoil and fuel additives. Mark at CCV made sure to emphasize that once i was able to get the work done. I'll look into the cetane booster.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:31 PM   #175

So Sweet! I found a pic of this online way back when the Agile work was done and that's was it. I was always wondering how it went afterward. Such an awesome rig and definitely made me look at not only box vans and Ambo's as potential projects but the plumber cutaways too .

Great rig!
2001 11' Box van 5.4L
American Backroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #176
KDB

Tx, AB. You may see me up in Truckee sometime. Particularly in the winter. Say hello if you do. Excited to use the ski chalet this season.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #177

nice! I thought I was the only one doing similar with my plumbing van, now going on one year of build and hoping it won't take two...........2004 E350 5.4L
napabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #178
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by napabob View Post
nice! I thought I was the only one doing similar with my plumbing van, now going on one year of build and hoping it won't take two...........2004 E350 5.4L
Nice! It would be great to see another Service Body van in the wild. Good luck.

Mine took around 2 years - still fine tuning. CUrrently im better winterizing the plumping as i have my water tanks, grey tank, water pump and lines in the outside rearmost cabinet. Im thinking of insulating that cabinet ( though the hollow walls of the van doors making good insulation) and installing a small computer fan blowing the warm cabin air into the compartment with and louvered exit vent at the top of the compartment for a passive exit. WOrks ok currently with the heating pads on the shelves and main water tank but anything much below freezing and the lines just don't stay thawed. Other than that the van has performed perfectly. Attention to detail has definitely paid off.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:18 PM   #179
KDB

A few fun pics of the van in the wild. Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Alabama Hills.
Attached Thumbnails
20201203_194319.jpg   20201203_165336.jpg   20201203_194648 (1).jpg   20201204_185355.jpg   20201206_190739 (1).jpg  

20201229_150457.jpg   20201206_185454.jpg   20201204_082907.jpg  
Old 03-15-2021, 10:28 PM   #180

Good stuff KDB... well done!
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote