Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #31

Helllll yes

I’m super into the service body and box van as a build platform! Pop top would be cool for sure!!

Camperoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
Search for member Abitibi. He put some kind of off the shelf pop top on his ambulance roof.
I talked with a guy with an ambo that had done this. He took a James Baroud, or one of those types of tents, and removed the bottom then cut a hole in top of his ambo and mounted the top half of the tent so it popped up. Clever.

There is a guy in North Hollywood that does interiors and other fabrication. He built the interior on my last van and has done a few other members here. Let me know if you want his info.

I would not want to use my rig to be a tester for anybody's first attempt at a pop-top. Better off waiting for a few other folks to take that risk as it is no fun when things go wrong. It would be neat though to have a pop top on your rig.

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #33
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
I talked with a guy with an ambo that had done this. He took a James Baroud, or one of those types of tents, and removed the bottom then cut a hole in top of his ambo and mounted the top half of the tent so it popped up. Clever.

There is a guy in North Hollywood that does interiors and other fabrication. He built the interior on my last van and has done a few other members here. Let me know if you want his info.

I would not want to use my rig to be a tester for anybody's first attempt at a pop-top. Better off waiting for a few other folks to take that risk as it is no fun when things go wrong. It would be neat though to have a pop top on your rig.
KTM, Yes i'd appreciate his contact info. Thank you!
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:24 PM   #34
KDB

Ok, the pop top. Ive been on the fence the entire time with this rig. After coming back camping New Years weekend with my buddy and his sprinter (with penthouse) ive gotta do it. Soooo i think i might pull the trigger on a ccv custom poptop. It seems like they can provide what i'm looking for - essentially a poptop with some lifting capacity that can be customized the service body. I might start a separate thread regarding CCV pop tops if I don't get many responses but can anyone with experience in using CCV attest to the quality of their tops and customer service? I've recently heard a couple of mixed reviews regarding both their quality and ability to be in 'good' communication with their clients. Has me a bit skeptical now though i've always held the company and their poptops in high regards. Can anyone chime in on that? They're probably a sponsor here and i dont mean to offend. You can't make everyone happy regarding customer service but build quality is something i won't gamble on in any way. Hopefully what im hearing has little basis in fact. All that said i really want a pop top on this rig and it doesn't seem i have many options.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #35
KDB

Does anyone know are the MG Metalworks tops are coming along? I'm hoping CCV has overcome their service and quality issues from a year+ back. I've always thought their tops were great quality but it would be good to have a back up option.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #36
KDB

I do want to say im not stuck on a pop top. This 10" hardtop could work perfectly if it could be paired to the service body. My Photos
I imagine it's all size and spec but would it be too difficult to mate this 10" top to my van? Professionally done of course.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #37
KDB

The bumper has been mounted and fits well. It's a great pairing with the service body. The truck is on the ground and getting it's fine tuning. I believe it will be heading off to CCV in february. Mark at CCV has been great to chat with so far and very helpful in answering my many newb questions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-4409.jpg   IMG-4410b.jpg  
Old 01-03-2019, 04:56 AM   #38

Garage
Looks great. Seems like Mark is making a big difference.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
I do want to say im not stuck on a pop top. This 10" hardtop could work perfectly if it could be paired to the service body. My Photos
I imagine it's all size and spec but would it be too difficult to mate this 10" top to my van? Professionally done of course.
I had Fiberine install their 24” top in my last van. I dealt with the son at time who was great. The install went fine but the mating to the roof wasn’t spectacular. CCV cleaned that up for me when they did a few other things.

Another member here had a bad experience with Fiberine gel coat yellowing and they didn’t offer a good resolution sadly. I had good luck with mine and like it. Hard tops have pluses and minuses and so do pop-tops like I have on my current van.

Like you said sometimes you have a great experience and sometimes you don’t. Between my close van friends each of has had a bad experience with one vendor while another has had a great experience with the same one.

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #40
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
I had Fiberine install their 24” top in my last van. I dealt with the son at time who was great. The install went fine but the mating to the roof wasn’t spectacular. CCV cleaned that up for me when they did a few other things.

Another member here had a bad experience with Fiberine gel coat yellowing and they didn’t offer a good resolution sadly. I had good luck with mine and like it. Hard tops have pluses and minuses and so do pop-tops like I have on my current van.

Like you said sometimes you have a great experience and sometimes you don’t. Between my close van friends each of has had a bad experience with one vendor while another has had a great experience with the same one.
Good to know, Tx KTM. I actually put the deposit down on a CCV poptop! The van should be getting it into their facility by mid Feb sometime. Mark at CCV has been very responsive and helpful. Should be wrapping up at Agile here in the next couple weeks or so. I'll definitely be sharing some pics as soon as i get the van back. Likely take it up the fireroads in Big Sur on the way home to rally the van around a bit and take some pics.