Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #161

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
...but it's pretty much ready to use. I work so darn much i hope i can get a a fun little trip in with it by the end of the month but we'll see.
Been a long time since I've been to Santa Cruz, but in the spirit of helping out, I can make some time and will gladly volunteer to take the rig out for an evaluation for you??? Proper assessment would take at least two weeks (if that would cause issue, I'd consider an abbreviate version at 1 week), and promise to provide a thorough recap. I'll even commit to leaving any unconsumed beverages as a bonus

Old 07-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #162
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Man, I swoon when I look at this build. Kudos.

What bike is that you're storing inside?
Thank you...It's been quite a project. So many details go into these custom builds.

Van is currently getting the full bullet proofing done as well as a few additional mechanical upgrades. Should be wrapped up mid August.

Ive got an UBCO 2x2 motorbike in the back. Super fun, two wheel drive, offroad scooter. Great way to get around when docked. Doesn't take up a lot of space and lots of functional accessories you can get for it.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #163
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Been a long time since I've been to Santa Cruz, but in the spirit of helping out, I can make some time and will gladly volunteer to take the rig out for an evaluation for you??? Proper assessment would take at least two weeks (if that would cause issue, I'd consider an abbreviate version at 1 week), and promise to provide a thorough recap. I'll even commit to leaving any unconsumed beverages as a bonus
Hahaa, tx 2x! I do appreciate the spirit of comradery here. Im afraid the insurance costs would sink the prospective opportunity. Otherwise, id say "let me think about it."

As soon as the van is back from the bullet proofing ive got some solid windows to have some fun in the rig. It couldn't come soon enough! Ill make sure to report back!! Looking to get the dry weight of the rig posted soon as well (post interior build).
Old 07-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #164

Quote:
Ive got an UBCO 2x2 motorbike in the back. Super fun, two wheel drive, offroad scooter. Great way to get around when docked. Doesn't take up a lot of space and lots of functional accessories you can get for it.
Thanks. I'd never seen one before. Seems pretty freakin' cool.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #165

Garage
Quote:
Progress still being made! ...And we really don't have too much further to go on the build as this post is a bit.

In the pics you'll see the solar set up and aluminum frame. The frames mount very securely to the struts on the ccv poptop. 320W total. Just enough room to fit everything between the feet of the crossbars and the fan....

You can see the t track throughout most of the interior under the cabinets for securing gear and my Tepui telescopic ladder. Above the fridge will be the second bed also making good use of the t track. I'll be following up with pics of that design and finished project here soon.
Hey KDB, this is looking great. When you have a minute, it would be great to see a few pics and some detail explanation of that solar rack construction and what you used to connect the Yakima bars to the strut. And looking forward to a pic or two of the Tepui ladder setup. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #166
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Hey KDB, this is looking great. When you have a minute, it would be great to see a few pics and some detail explanation of that solar rack construction and what you used to connect the Yakima bars to the strut. And looking forward to a pic or two of the Tepui ladder setup. Thanks!
Hi Otter, Thank you... Lots of inspiration from the forum here...had i only known what i was getting into. Budget has been annihilated but it'll be a unique rig for sure.

The solar rack was made using 1" aluminum square bar. Used Renogy flex panels 3m'd to the frames. The frames attached to the struts using a spring loaded channel nut from grainger. This is accessed from a 3/8" hole on top of the square bar (under the flex panel). If it breaks or needs accessing the panel has to come up... which will be a complete pain but we don't anticipate that happening anytime soon.

The Tepui ladder attaches to inside the van with a cam strap that runs vertically between the upper and lower t-track i have running parallel on both the top and bottom of the lower walls. It lives just in front of the driver side rear flip up seats. The ladder allows for easy access to the upper bunk as well as other uses outside the vehicle. They're excellent telescopic ladders that are quite tall and perfect for our kinds of vehicles. For those that haven't had a chance to check them out you should.

I'll send a more detailed pic once i get the rig back from getting the engine work done.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200317_164934.jpg   Screenshot (192).jpg   IMG_20191002_150320.jpg   20200429_132927.jpg   IMG_20200204_232954.jpg  

Old 08-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #167
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Thanks. I'd never seen one before. Seems pretty freakin' cool.
I'd recommend giving them a good look. Very well made and capable little moto's. Can charge pretty easily from a moderately robust solar set up. My kodiak lithium battery charges it over night.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:23 PM   #168
KDB

Quote:
I neglected to mention that under the feet of the racks are plates that Yakima no longer makes. THeir rougly the size of the base of the foot. We had to custom make the last two aluminum plates for the third crossbar as they were an outdated part they no longer make. The plates are powdercoated black and the feet ride on those. The spring nut attach through this plate to the foot. Without the plates the foot won't pair to the struts. Ill post some more detailed pics here soon.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #169
KDB

Quote:
Roof before we cleaned it up and got the panels installed. Found a good pic of the foot plate i mentioned previously.
Attached Thumbnails
20200520_131724.jpg  
Old 08-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #170

Wow, I haven't caught up here in awhile. What an amazing build! Probably one of my favorite home builds ever. Congrats sir.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote