Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Ok, first, the Rubicon in a van? Badass.

So when you say cabbed and flatbedded do you mean like Chris' green V4? Or that guy's "vuck" on Expo?
Like V4, but without the side storage.

6OHVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #12

This should be interesting.

Please keep posting about the rest of the build and then the trip.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #13

For most of the Rubicon you should be fine, but Cadillac Hill could get interesting - it's quite tippy in a few spots. Did you add lockers? Skids? Sliders may be a wise addition as well. Definitely post up some pics. Extra internet points if you try soup bowl.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
For most of the Rubicon you should be fine, but Cadillac Hill could get interesting - it's quite tippy in a few spots. Did you add lockers? Skids? Sliders may be a wise addition as well. Definitely post up some pics. Extra internet points if you try soup bowl.
In talkes with yukon right now for front and real lockers plus backup axle shafts, getting rock sliders and under body plates made in two weeks, also getting psc hydro assist installed.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #15

Sounds like you're on the right track. Fordyce and Dusy next on the list?

Edit: I just noticed the tall rims w/ lower profile tires (for a 40 anyway)...thinking at all of going down to a 17-18" rim if you're actually taking it out wheeling?
Old 04-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. Fordyce and Dusy next on the list?

Edit: I just noticed the tall rims w/ lower profile tires (for a 40 anyway)...thinking at all of going down to a 17-18" rim if you're actually taking it out wheeling?
Not 100% on what Fordyce amd Dusy are lol, I have custome Beadlocks coming from OMF Perfomance
Old 04-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #17

Dusy-Ershim is kind of like the Rubicon but longer and harder (I am told, I've only done the Rubicon and sold the LC before we did Dusy). Fordyce is the next level up in difficulty, just shy of being buggy only.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #18
Site Team

I've done Dusy-Ershim in my Bronco. Took three FULL days to drive the 30 mile trail. The longest section that doesn't include true rock crawling was about 100 yards long. It was great but exhausting.

FWIW, I've heard someone do it in a full size pickup, but there was some significant body damage primarily due to trees.

Herb
Old 04-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6OHVAN View Post
The trimming was for when I was on stock suspension and 35s, I clear the 40s with zero issues, yes they off 5” more inches of ground clearance over 35s...
I don't want to spoil your fun! You are right, the difference from a 35" tire to a 40" is 5" depending on the actual true dimension of the radius of the tire by brand, however your differential ground clearance only increases 2.5". Half the 5" goes to the top and half to the bottom. The real benefits of the bigger tire is two reasons.

1) a wider footprint, which can be gained with brands like Mickey Thompson 36x15.50x your rim size.
2) 5" more radius causing less rolling resistance to roll over obstacles but again clearance gain is only half of the tire size height difference!

I run 36x15.50x15 MT'S on my crawler and 35x12.50x15. I love the MT's because the traction (footprint) grabs more traction but makes me wider for the narrow trails like the Rubicon, especially thru the squeeze where all full & mid size vehicles struggle. You may want to add slide rails near the roof line for your lean at that height. I was running 37" Generals on my 01 7.3 and did not like them went back to 35"s which are fine for what I do.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #20

Can't wait to see it!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, econoline, lifted van, ujoint off road