Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #31

Re: Aluminess-Quadvan-Transit

Saw a few Sprinter 4x4s with larger than stock tires at the Expo and I like them even more now. Looks good.

ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #32

I had a late-90's SMB, and now have a late-90's cutaway small RV. I like the E-Series, think it looks good, etc.

But.... I just drove a Transit cargo at a dealership last week. Wow, I was impressed. So quiet, super tight steering (and I've improved the handling on my rig with aftermarket stuff so it's pretty good), really ergonomic (for me) cab/seat, HUGE (tall) rear and side doors. Plus relatively vertical sidewalls and the factory medium or high top (good for my uses). I still don't think it's great looking, but I could get used to it, I think, for the great function.

And maybe there is something to be said for a more "boring/Euro" look when parked at a Trailhead or on a city street(?).

I also think that of the two (or three if you include Promaster) the Sprinter is the best looking. But I like the idea of service locations all over the place for the Transit, the choice of a gas engine, and maybe the option of barn doors over slider (haven't figured out if they are offered in the medium or high cargo though).

Still love the look of the E-Series, however.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #33

Aluminess-Quadvan-Transit

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #34

I am reserving judgment until I see pictures of a completed Transit 4x4 (Quigley is getting closer) with wheels and tires. Still glad my E350 is running well for now.

From Quigley:
Ford Transit Timeline #3

As you know we have been designing and testing our latest product, the Ford Transit. Continuing below is our timeline:

07/16/15 - Most of testing completed. Final tests should be wrapped up by end of July. Testing facility has been back-logged due to the unusually wet summer the East Coast has been experiencing this year.

07/07/15 - Shipped final proto-type unit to testing facility.

07/03/15 - Final proto-type built. Scheduled for testing week of July 13th.

06/18/15 - Starting to schedule testing for our last model build. This last proto-type should be ready for testing by early July.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #35

My local Ford dealer has four (4) 4x4 Transits on their lot now. I haven't had a chance to go look at them but I thought they were Quigleys. By the looks of their schedule posted above, these might be Quadvan converted vans instead. Interesting...now I'm curious enough to go take a closer look.

http://newbergford.com/inventory?Body=VAN%204X4
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #36

I can't believe how many 4x4 vans that dealer has for sale! Wow.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
My local Ford dealer has four (4) 4x4 Transits on their lot now.
Oooh, tempting!

BTW, I spoke with a fellow from Quigley at Expo/Flagstaff (who was in a red 4x4 Transit they were testing) and it did sound then like they had a bit of tweaking to go, but it was nice looking!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #38

Quote:
My local Ford dealer has four (4) 4x4 Transits on their lot now. I haven't had a chance to go look at them but I thought they were Quigleys. By the looks of their schedule posted above, these might be Quadvan converted vans instead. Interesting...now I'm curious enough to go take a closer look.

http://newbergford.com/inventory?Body=VAN%204X4

might have to swing out to Newerg this weekend to take a look.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #39

Quote:
My local Ford dealer has four (4) 4x4 Transits on their lot now.
Don't get too excited yet. They're in inventory, but John still has them at QuadVan. 1st van is on the rack getting finished up (by next week I think he said... still working misc stuff like skid plate for the intercooler) and the other 3 are out back waiting in line.

They still have a LOT of E350s being processed still! Newberg Ford has discovered E350 4x4 Wagons are quite profitable. They basically have scooped up all remaining new E-series inventory from around the country (and dealer demo units), and send them through QuadVan. Too bad they all have the 5.4L
Old 07-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #40

My wife and I at this year's expo pulled out our credit card to place a deposit on a Sprinter SMB 4x4 however, the booth couldn't process the credit card transaction and told us to mail a check instead when we get back home.

Making sure that I didn't make an impulse decision as my wife was the one pushing us to get the 4x4 Sprinter, when we got home I went to both Merc and Ford dealer to test drive a Sprinter and Transit (ecoboost and diesel). I loved the Transit more than the Sprinter and was very close to ordering the former.

I then thought about wheeling capability of these rigs and realized that I won't be able to follow my buddy I his 2006 E350 quadvan 4x4 on 33's. There seems to be a limit of how much modification that can be done in order for the Transit to keep up with the E350. I don't want to have to turn around because I can't go where my buddy can.

I decided to wait for an E350 EB cargo and after many sleepless nights thinking of owning one, we found our rig a 2008 quigley EB V10 with only 24k miles. Needless to say we made the right decision for our traveling plan. Saved a lot of moolah too. Wifey super happy!!!
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote